Cutting Roof for Class A Today - Any Advice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tutu_sue

Jan 21, 2006
Northern NJ
Hi Guys, going to cut the roof today for installing 6" Class A (8" O.D.). Any tips, tricks or rule of thumb for cutting the opening with the 2" clearance? We have a 4.5/12 pitch. Want to get this right the first time. Going to rain tomorrow...thanks in advance!!

The minimum cut would be a 12"W. x 12.82"L. oval.
I would just cut a 13" circle.

I did almost the exact same thing Wes did. See his second picture link.

I probably went through more trouble that I needed to, but I cut the hole out in the roof just big enough for a section of chimney to fit through. I then placed the flashing over it, marked the edges of the flashing with tape, removed the flashing and section of chimney sticking out the roof. I then put the flashing back where the tape marks were and used a utility knife to cut along the inside edge of the shingles so my hole would be exact. I had to basically cut twice since my first hole wasn't big enough for proper clearance, but it was the exact place it needed to be, and I didn't cut it too big.

My installer set the flashing on the roof and then reached inside to mark the proper sized hole on the roof by tracing the inner oval. You should have drilled a pilot hole from inside the attic which is the centerpoint of the penetration. Center the flashing on that centerpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.