Cutting through foundation footer/wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 4, 2018
Connecticut, USA
I have a split level ranch. The first floor has a concrete footer/wall that is about 2-3' tall. In the corner there is a gas fireplace and painted brick hearth. The entire layout looks something like this.

https://bestfireplaceideas.com/wp-c...0/living-room-ideas-with-corner-fireplace.jpg

Except it is first floor and there is a sliding door where the window is.

We're considering building out another room on the patio outside. A two-sided fireplace would be beautiful, but the concrete wall/footer is in the way. How big of a deal is it to cut through that? It worries me because it's on the corner and foundation of our house and doesn't seem like something we'd want to mess with.

If you throw enough money at it, just about anything can be done. The first problem you are going to run into is that since it is a corner at least one side of the foundation wall is load bearing. This means that it is supporting everything above it. You will have to come up with an alternative way to provide support. It will not be cheap or easy.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
If you throw enough money at it, just about anything can be done. The first problem you are going to run into is that since it is a corner at least one side of the foundation wall is load bearing. This means that it is supporting everything above it. You will have to come up with an alternative way to provide support. It will not be cheap or easy.

That's what I was thinking. Probably not worth it in this situation.

in building the fireplace i don't think it will add allot to the price of the fireplace you are looking at. They will just place a steel beam above the opening of the fire place. The opening for the fireplace will not go right to the corner so it will still give them support for the beam

I would add another gas fireplace into the patio room. Put it on the outside wall with windows for a nice view. It would be a nice place to watch it snow.

I would add another gas fireplace into the patio room. Put it on the outside wall with windows for a nice view. It would be a nice place to watch it snow.

That would be beautiful. Maybe someday.

We have a pellet stove about 5' away from that room now, and the priority is getting a wood burning insert in the existing fireplace on the ground floor.

Unless it was planned that a room would be built on the slab, it probably wasn't given the support needed to support walls. You may need to repour that too.