Cutting woodstove gasket "rope" without making a mess ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slindo

Mar 14, 2008
Maine
I was replacing some seals on my woodstove, and noticed, as I always do, that the Rutland gasket rope, which is all I can get locally now that the local stove shop has dropped Vermont Castings, tends to unravel and fly apart when cut, so the ends always have a sloppy look to them, and at worse can cause gaps in the seal as the ends unravel. trying to glue the ends together with extra cement is not a totally satisfactory answer, as one ends up with a big lump of cement that can prevent the door from closing evenly. If I could find some fireproof thread to whip it with that might be a solution, or a cement that was less lumpy and thick than the stove cement that I could saturate the gasket with before cutting.

Does anyone have some solution to this problem? I seem to recall that the genuine VC gasketing was much better in this regard, but I always end up using the Rutland since I can get it by the foot at the hardware store.

Good question. I too have alway used Vermont Castings OE parts.

How about using Rutland High Heat RTV on the seal, first before cutting? Or after?

Try winding a little fine copper wire to hold it tight before cutting it and then dab a bit of adhesive on the cut end of it. Put some folded wax paper between the gasket and the door to compress it until the adhesive sets. I haven't had to change a gasket in 30 years (my current stove is over 10 years old) but I will be changing one soon.

LL,

Good tips, thanks. My recent Encore came with small "wax paper" like pieces at the ends of the gaskets.
Maybe the same assembly concept. It has since burned away.

The gaskets, on my previous stoves in the early '80s, have always lasted forever. However like me, they may be in need for some repairs.

Thanks.

slindo,

Give it a go on the wire, wax paper and RTV, and let us know your success.

slindo said:
I was replacing some seals on my woodstove, and noticed, as I always do, that the Rutland gasket rope, which is all I can get locally now that the local stove shop has dropped Vermont Castings, tends to unravel and fly apart when cut

First, you can get many sizes (not all but many) from McMaster Carr (and Rutland cement). Now, I don't know the mfr but i'd guess it's the Rutland stuff. I've used it and don't have a problem with it. If the fraying is that bad I imagine you could goop up the end with some high temp silicone to keep it from coming apart. I've never had it be a problem but I imagine where two gasket ends but together it could be a problem. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.