Cycling can be hazardous to your health

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Lol. Bears are bad for your health.
Let's kill m all...

Wear a helmet. Always. Especially when around other beings that are not used.to having bicycles around them (i.e. bears or Americans...)

Hazards are part of cycling. A coworker and lifetime cyclist was commuting to work when someone opened their car door right as he was passing. It was not a pretty outcome. He was out from work for over a month.

From the bear’s perspective:

Ever wake up and you’re just hungry? We’ll, yesterday was that day for me. I stretched and wandered over to my favorite clearing and started to browse in the grass. Out of nowhere a bicyclist came flying at me! You should have seen him! His tight yellow clothes made him look like a big banana! I was so shocked by his dress, I kinda froze, just staring at him. I snapped to and tried to bolt, but the nut job just aimed at me! He hit me and the banana went airborne… physics and all that. I booked it out of there! About 15 minutes later I came back and he was still there. He was a bit grouchy but eh, I’m not afraid of a big banana. I wasn’t going to let him ruin my day and was still hungry. I finished eating and then went to the berry patch on the next hill over.

When I was in high school, one of my teachers hit a deer while screaming down a hill on his bicycle. He missed a week of school, then came back with arm and shoulder in a cast, the full crutch from elbow to hip job, and his face all torn up. Looked bad!

LameGentleCooter-size_restricted.gif

It's impossible to predict these moments. The biker certainly didn't expect this encounter in an urban park but we live on the edge of the wild and keep taking more of this land every day.