DrYattz Posted By DrYattz, Nov 15, 2016 at 3:12 PM

1. DrYattz

DrYattz
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 15, 2016
    Loc:
    Western VA
    I'm hoping to have a wood stove from http://www.liseo.eu/ shipped to the US so I can install it in my home in Virginia. It has glass on three (or all four) sides, which we would really enjoy.

I'm told the stove exceeds EPA requirements, although can't see where they have gram/hour "particulate matter emissions" listed. This info is provided by Liseo:

heating output = 9.41 kW
    fuel load = 2.500 kg/h
    mean CO emission at 13% O2 = 0.1782 %
    mean CO emission at 13% O2 = 2227 mg/Nm3
    efficiency = 82.70 %
    mean flue gas temperature = 224º
    mean value of dust in the flue gas at 13% O2 = 52.2 mg/Nm3
    flue gas mass flow = 6.67 g/s
    environmental index I' = .852

So, I assume my challenge is to convince someone at EPA that this wood stove meets or exceeds their criteria. Does anybody know if that's possible, and if so, how? Then, what?

2. Simonkenton

Simonkenton
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 27, 2014
    Loc:
    Marshall NC
    It apparently meets epa specs. But, who is there to check on you and see what sort of stove you are burning?
    Here in the NC mountains you install whatever stove you want to. I have never had anyone from the government or the insurance company come out to see what type of wood stove I am burning.

Are the rules more strict in Virginia?

That stove looks cool with the all glass sides I bet it is beautiful to watch burn.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DrYattz

DrYattz
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 15, 2016
    Loc:
    Western VA
    I'm told (by the sales person at a local wood stove store) that it might be prevented from entering the country without some EPA sign of approval. I don't want to believe that would actually happen, but if I'm going to pay $600 shipping, I want to be damned sure.

4. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    Technically I think it could because you are not allowed to sell new stoves that have not passed the epa testing. But the chances of that happening is very slim. I would bet you would be fine but it is your money not mine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. xman23

xman23
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 7, 2008
    Loc:
    Lackawaxen PA
    I don't think all that glass is going to stay clean. Our stove use the exhaust to wash the front door glass

6. St. Coemgen

St. Coemgen
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Feb 4, 2016
    Loc:
    Hungary
    Quite frankly, I would not import from Europe privately. You may have problems with warranty and replacement parts. As an expat-USA citizen living in Europe I can tell you first hand that "consumer rights" here are not anything what you may expect to get in the USA. So beware.

Frankly, if you want an all around glass fireplace, I would highly recommend rather going custom, with a North American designer/builder such as :

http://customfireplacedesign.com/gallery/custom-fireplaces/

7. Huntindog1

Huntindog1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 6, 2011
    Loc:
    South Central Indiana