Czech wood stove & EPA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrYattz

Nov 15, 2016
Western VA
I'm hoping to have a wood stove from http://www.liseo.eu/ shipped to the US so I can install it in my home in Virginia. It has glass on three (or all four) sides, which we would really enjoy.

I'm told the stove exceeds EPA requirements, although can't see where they have gram/hour "particulate matter emissions" listed. This info is provided by Liseo:

heating output = 9.41 kW
fuel load = 2.500 kg/h
mean CO emission at 13% O2 = 0.1782 %
mean CO emission at 13% O2 = 2227 mg/Nm3
efficiency = 82.70 %
mean flue gas temperature = 224º
mean value of dust in the flue gas at 13% O2 = 52.2 mg/Nm3
flue gas mass flow = 6.67 g/s
environmental index I' = .852

So, I assume my challenge is to convince someone at EPA that this wood stove meets or exceeds their criteria. Does anybody know if that's possible, and if so, how? Then, what?

It apparently meets epa specs. But, who is there to check on you and see what sort of stove you are burning?
Here in the NC mountains you install whatever stove you want to. I have never had anyone from the government or the insurance company come out to see what type of wood stove I am burning.

Are the rules more strict in Virginia?

That stove looks cool with the all glass sides I bet it is beautiful to watch burn.

I'm told (by the sales person at a local wood stove store) that it might be prevented from entering the country without some EPA sign of approval. I don't want to believe that would actually happen, but if I'm going to pay $600 shipping, I want to be damned sure.

I'm told (by the sales person at a local wood stove store) that it might be prevented from entering the country without some EPA sign of approval. I don't want to believe that would actually happen, but if I'm going to pay $600 shipping, I want to be damned sure.
Technically I think it could because you are not allowed to sell new stoves that have not passed the epa testing. But the chances of that happening is very slim. I would bet you would be fine but it is your money not mine.

I don't think all that glass is going to stay clean. Our stove use the exhaust to wash the front door glass

Quite frankly, I would not import from Europe privately. You may have problems with warranty and replacement parts. As an expat-USA citizen living in Europe I can tell you first hand that "consumer rights" here are not anything what you may expect to get in the USA. So beware.

Frankly, if you want an all around glass fireplace, I would highly recommend rather going custom, with a North American designer/builder such as :

http://customfireplacedesign.com/gallery/custom-fireplaces/

Status
Not open for further replies.