Damaged Cat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jedi

Nov 9, 2022
Maryland
I noticed this yesterday while the cat was engaged. There is a small hole/crack on the upper left side of the cat. For background, this Ashford 25 insert isn't even a year old, installed in February 2023. The wood I'm burning is properly seasoned and I have no issues starting a fire or maintaining it to burn well.

So is it normal to see this crack so early in a cat's life? Or did I close the bypass too early without letting the cat get up to temp and cause thermal shock? Or vice versa not let the cat cool down enough before a reload?

Should I leave it alone or do a warranty claim for a new cat?

IMG_20231215_093117590~2.jpg IMG_20231215_093229848.jpg

My 2 year old cat did the same thing (see my post about it). There was also another poster with the same issue recently. I'm beginning to wonder if these are defective cats. These shouldn't count against our warranty in my opinion if they are in fact defective.

Seems too coincidental for all of us to be making the same error.

I've never had a ceramic cat shrink up like that. Remember the old diesel foil and how the manufacturers all made fun of it being such a bad material?

My 2 year old cat did the same thing (see my post about it). There was also another poster with the same issue recently. I'm beginning to wonder if these are defective cats. These shouldn't count against our warranty in my opinion if they are in fact defective.

Seems too coincidental for all of us to be making the same error.
Is your new Cat the same as the original? Same material? Or does it feel it has been redesigned or improved to avoid this issue?

Ti
Is your new Cat the same as the original? Same material? Or does it feel it has been redesigned or improved to avoid this issue?
This is the new cat part #. According to BKVP it has the new V3 coating on it.

1702687960905.png

I ask, becuase I've used this insert for about 3 months last winter, and about 1 month so far this winter and already have a cracked cat. I don't want to do a warranty claim if the new cat with suffer the same fate after 4 months.

I ask, becuase I've used this insert for about 3 months last winter, and about 1 month so far this winter and already have a cracked cat. I don't want to do a warranty claim if the new cat with suffer the same fate after 4 months.
Totally agree.

@Jedi I just had a similar issue, I got my warranty but I don’t think I got the v3 coated one. Which is unfortunate as I bought a backup one at the time. I hope they solved this issue with the replacements I got.

IMG_0493.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
A
Cracking is okay, falling apart is not. The ceramic cat can be 100% functional with cracks.

A

Cracking is okay, falling apart is not. The ceramic cat can be 100% functional with cracks.
We don’t get a ceramic option for the Ashford insert. Unless someone found one that fits, all I’ve found are the metal finned ones. The metal on mine contacted away from the frame of the catalyst.

Since we all had the same issue in the same spots, I wonder if it has to do with our flame shield, our sides are open where as the sirocco has side to keep the flames from wrapping around.

I’ve already measured, the sirocco doesn’t fit.

IMG_0497.png IMG_0496.jpeg

My 2012 princess has the side shields (curtains) on the flame shield. I feel pretty confident in saying that your metal honeycomb was not supposed to pull away from the can like that.

That stove looks like its being run a little to hot, seems like some warpage under the cat chamber, plus the discoloration, have you checked your draft to see if your operating near .05wc?

• Sad
Reactions: Jedi
That stove looks like its being run a little to hot, seems like some warpage under the cat chamber, plus the discoloration, have you checked your draft to see if your operating near .05wc?
I did not want to comment, (i am not an expert here) but yes my thought was…..stove was run hot due to discoloration. Basing it on my VC days😳😳

I thought these BK stoves were supposed to self regulate with the thermostat to prevent running too hot. How would I check the draft on an insert?
They self regulate if in good working order, proper fuel, and installed per the manual which includes good gaskets, standard firewood, and proper draft.

If you removed that destroyed catalyst and that melted looking plate under it I don’t think it looks terribly overfired. Mine stays nice and clean around the catalyst too.

Your installer should have checked the draft strength to assure compliance with the manual. On one hand you want a tall, straight, insulated chimney to provide enough draft but it is not hard to provide too much.

Are you saying you run lots of loads at maximum thermostat setting?

Your installer should have checked the draft strength to assure compliance with the manual. On one hand you want a tall, straight, insulated chimney to provide enough draft but it is not hard to provide too much.
How many installers check that? Mine certainly did not.

Reactions: Jeff in Maine
My installer didnt either. They only checked for proper installation by doing the first burn and look9ng for smoke leaks inside and outside. I run the stove "normal", as per the manual. I'll run it on high for 30min to an hour depending on the indoor temperature. Then I turn it down to whatever setting I need, eother low for overnight burn, or low-medium for day timr burning. I dont think the manual doesn't say anything about not running on full open high for extended times.
Besides the warped plated and melted corner of the catalytic, it seems to be providing the same heat output and duration. But I definitely would like to know If I did anything wrong, or just got a faulty unit. Would the plate also be covered under warranty?

Reactions: WickedWood
How many installers check that? Mine certainly did not.
Neither did mine. But thanks to this place I was aware of the chimney height that would be optimal 😉

Neither did mine. But thanks to this place I was aware of the chimney height that would be optimal 😉
I have a single level home, so chimney isnt too high. If im not mistaken they used the 20ft insulated liner, and had to cut off some excess. So I don't think I'm overdrafting.

I have a single level home, so chimney isnt too high. If im not mistaken they used the 20ft insulated liner, and had to cut off some excess. So I don't think I'm overdrafting.

Doesn’t sound excessive but there’s a specification and if your install doesn’t comply then do you really think overheat damage is BK’s fault?

Reactions: Diabel
Idk, I'd have to have the draft checked. But there are a few others here that have had the same issue with a bad cat after a fairly short time. It does give the impression to be a quality control issue on the cats, based on the other users experience being similar to mine (seasoned wood, using according to the manual, and delaminated cat in a short time).

Regardless, I am still using it everyday and it feels to function just the same as day one. I'll keep an eye on it and have the installer perform an inspection at the end of the season and determine if a warranty claim on the cat is done or not.

Reactions: Highbeam
Ok... So still being worried. I took down the warped plate to get a better look. I also took down the bypass cover plate. Since I had everything disassembled, I sweeped the liner and cleaned everything too.

Bypass/liner area after sweeping

IMG_20231226_125501712.jpg

Bypass plate closed. I checked the gasket for hard/burnt areas and it all felt softish, not burnt.
IMG_20231226_120012315.jpg

The warped panel, the top side which isn't visible while mounted.
IMG_20231226_115248147.jpg

The area above the panel. I noticed some minor peeling of the metal, and some areas with slight discoloration consistent with steel overheating, but I can't see anything warped or otherwise damaged.
IMG_20231226_115042837.jpg

Another view of the same area.
IMG_20231226_115141877.jpg

Lastly, another angle on the warped cover. I used a scrap baseboard piece and reference for square since I couldn't find my level.
IMG_20231226_115316119.jpg

Did I miss anything that anyone else can see from the pictures?

Thanks everyone for the feedback and help.
Merry Christmas and may the force be with you.

That little bit of distortion is normal. You may have noticed the piece is free floating. If it were rigid, then it would really warp. But it is stainless, so you should have no issues. Just make certain to get it suspended and free floating again on the reinstall.

BKVP