Damaged F500v3 Insulation Panel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chimnoob

Nov 12, 2022
The Woods
I have the saddest question to ask. I slipped when taking off the top plate of my Jotul Oslo f500. It damaged a small portion of the insulation panel around the flange nut (picture attached). How much will this affect the woodstove on a scale of needing to order a replacement part before I have another fire to just being a little hotter on the top plate and I can keep having fires?

Thanks for your help.

damage.jpeg

That's a bummer. It doesn't look like a showstopper if only for a short time while waiting for the replacement part to come in.

It doesn't look too serious. Based on what is shown it looks ok to burn at least partial loads. Watch the stove top temperature in that specific location. If it stays below 650º it should be ok for the next week or so. If that makes you nervous, you could get some refractory cement and glue the broken piece in, but I think it will be ok.

Okay great, begreen. Thanks so much. I should have mentioned that I just installed it and haven't yet broken it in. Does that change anything?

Okay great, begreen. Thanks so much. I should have mentioned that I just installed it and haven't yet broken it in. Does that change anything?
I thought it looked very clean. Continue on with the break-in fires as per the manual.

I’d personally would just run it as is. That is a real small chunk to at came off.

Edit..the fact that The bolt was always exposed is what I’m basing my reasoning on.

Thank you both so much. I was just worried I'd fumbled on the one yard line and wouldn't be able to fire it up! I really appreciate all the help!