Damaged fire brick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RandomMoose

Oct 31, 2021
Sacramento
Hey there, I just noticed that one of the fire bricks at the back of my QuadFire insert is damaged. How urgent does this need to be replaced? I.e., can I use the stove tonight or is it unusable until fixed?

And can it be replaced with any like fire brick or do I need a QuadFire brick? I will say though that I know nothing about types of fire bricks.... Finally, any tricks for cutting out those circles for the vents? I'm worried it might shatter but can use a masonry bit.

*The stove does need to be cleaned but it's not as bad as it looks.

20211030_210122.jpg

Knowing nothing but that doe not look too good..Light my stove for the first time and I wonder if I have fire bricks? Someone will see your posting and point you in the right direction and I can learn too...old mrs clancey

That is an important brick, it surrounds the startup air feed tubes. It is also vulnerable if logs get slammed into it. You could make your own, it's soft pumice firebrick. This would require using a hole saw or carefully notching a brick to make the holes for those tubes. Or you could see if your dealer has that specific brick for sale.

Which Quad model is this?