Damned warm spells

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bigburner said:
Don't know what the record is here, for dumping water. Mine is a 1,000 gallons turned to steam on a double load of wood. PS heaterman - going to move it with the water in it, bet that isn't in the manual!!

No we are not moving it with the water in it. :) I don't have anything that will pick up 20,000. Probably going to recommend dumping it, refilling and running for a few days at temp with boiler cleaner in it, dumping again and refilling with the addition of basic water treatment and then test. The unit is getting reconnected to a new system with about 600ft of 1-1/2" black pipe and about 12,000 ft of pex.

Heaterman -that sounds like a big load, can you share the details?? Also is that 100 miles south of you by chance?? If it was, might go take a look.

bigburner said:
Heaterman -that sounds like a big load, can you share the details?? Also is that 100 miles south of you by chance?? If it was, might go take a look.

Sorry Bigburner..it's north of me, up in Ellsworth. And yes, it's a huge load. The 2000 will never carry the whole thing all at once and I've made the owner aware of it on more than one occasion. I have plans of installing an additional unit designed into the piping system and I would guess we'll probably be doing that at some point. For now though, the system is set up to pull heat from the garn in only two areas. The rest is going to be controlled manually so those areas can be run only when needed and only when nothing else is calling for heat.

The owner has an additional garn that we are "resurrecting" and it will probably be the one that gets twinned with the existing unit. It's a 1981-82 vintage unit that he got out of a defunct greenhouse operation near him. We are replacing basically everything on it but the shell and the door.

bigburner said:
May be next time, still would like more details on the install-- sounds fun.

It's a neat job. Two temp, or rather one high temp circuit and one variable temp circuit. Were's using a 1-1/4" Taco I-valve for reset of all the floors. should save the guy a ton of wood by keeping water temps only as high as they need to be. Some of the floors are run with regular thermostats, a couple with floor sensors and a couple on just a regular old 6 hour wind up timer. The system will be doing some heavy lifting for the DHW load on the farm contributing all it can to about 500 gallons a day @ 175*.

We put fire in the beastie today and it's heating the guys house as we speak. And speaking of the house loop.......I gotta take some pictures of of the guys underground. Never seen it done this way and never thought I would..........but I won't spill the beans. I'll get some pics and get them up here.

The only bad thing about it is the distance. But hey, you know how things are workwise here in the Great Lakes state. You go where there's work/have threader-will travel type of deal.

This is also the guy we are resurrecting the 30 year old Garn for. I'll get some pics of that thing too. There are a few changes but essentially they are the same animal today as they were back then.

Cool - curious about the under ground, I used some chases that where sized wrong [head up my A$$] form my boiler building to shop and want to redo this summer it's a short distance but I don't want to use pex [ have it limited to 180 now] The system acts funny and I just want a direct feed from hydraulic separator in to the shop distribution tank., no mix valve. Get those pictures up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.