Damper needs to be added to ultrablack adjustable pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rideau

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2012
southern ontario
I'm going to have to add a damper to my stovepipe in the off season. Have an adjustable ultrablack pipe, which I believe is 36 inches sliding inside 36 inches. Same pipe that I used for my Fireview, rear flue, now recommissioned for my Progress Hybrid top vent. With the top vent, I only have a little over 14 inches of pipe below the sliding joint. Have a probe thermometer mounted just below the joint. The pipe section with damper I believe is 4 inches in exerior (exposed) length. Where does it get installed in relation to stove/adjustable pipe?

Double wall right? I have this pipe, an adjustable section and in a box, the damper section you describe. The short damper section I have is an appliance adapter. It is suppposed to be mounted to the stove. I don't know that they make a damper section that is intended to be placed anywhere else. Good idea on a damper for the PH.

Double wall right? I have this pipe, an adjustable section and in a box, the damper section you describe. The short damper section I have is an appliance adapter. It is suppposed to be mounted to the stove. I don't know that they make a damper section that is intended to be placed anywhere else. Good idea on a damper for the PH.
Thank you.

With my cast iron hearthstone flue collar, the appliance adapter/damper section from simpson did not fit. It was too loose and was unusable. I was able to use it with my BK which uses a steel collar. Before you spend the money, about 35$, on the damper section I would verify with other owners or with woodstock that an appliance adapter will work with the PH's cast collar.

The ultrablack by ICC recomends that the damper be placed 18"-24" above the stove if i remeber right and in your case the easiest would be to put it at the top if you can reach it

Double wall pipe. This should be ICC part # UBD

http://www.icc-rsf.com/main.php?t=chem_produits&i=37&l=en

ub_registre_e.jpg

It comes from ICC in a short length (4 inches?) which I figure I'll install at the top of my adjustable, which will shorten the adjustable pipe by 4 inches....

It would have to go in a fixed section or the adjustable wouldn't be very adjustable!

Both the top and bottom of the adjustable have about 3 or 4 inches of "un-adjustable" pipe that could easily accept a damper. I might do just that, so I can close it down when I'm not burning the stove...

Status
Not open for further replies.