Damper on a whitfield advantage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dude

Jan 30, 2009
NY
I have a whitfield advantage from 95 that I just got the rusted open damper free on.
what is the correct setting for the damper ? it was stuck fully open for a long time
when I run it almost closed it seems to burn hotter...is that possible?

To answer your question, Yes it is possible. Too much air is just as bad as not enough. Having your damper fully open, especially if your running @ a lower feed rate will just burn your fuel way to quick with little to no flame(height). Now if your burning wide open(max settings) it's possible that you may need to have your damper open quite a bit if not fully especially if you have a lot of ash in the burnpot.
There are no easy 1 setting fits all in most cases. Variables such as your venting configuration, pellet type and brand, etc make it difficult for others to give you an exact setting. You can get ballpark figures but you are going to have experiment and find what works best for you. There is a general guideline that you can start with and it is that if your flame is "lazy"(fluttering around, black dirty yellow flame with black tips) you need more air, but @ the same time you don't want a "blow torch" (too much air) type of flame either. Hope this helps you.

I sent you a e-mail , I will send you a manual pdf file...

Status
Not open for further replies.