Damper or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rover47

Oct 2, 2006
Albany New York
Hi all, I just installed my new Jotul 602. I have done my break in fires. The stove appears to work normal except the surface temp. seems a little high (could be normal). I get 700 surface and around 200 on the pipe. I was wondering if I should have installed a damper in the pipe? Do the epa stoves need or benefit from one? Thanks, Jim

The 602 likes to burn hot and can get away pretty quickly if one doesn't watch the air control. If you're having problems regulating the stove (it just wants to be on or off, with no in between), then a draft damper can really help. We had one on our (older) 602 and it made a nice difference in stove control.

Status
Not open for further replies.