Damper Sheet Metal Plate Strategy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jcbmv11

Jan 6, 2023
Sturbridge, MA
I recently purchased a new Oslo Wood Stove From Jotul. I want to arrange it with a damper sheet metal interface (as seen in the attached picture). My questions are:
  • How is this traditionally done? What has been your experience?
  • Does anyone sell a commercially available plate for this application? Or do I need to engage a sheet metal fabricator?
  • How thick does the steel need to be? Does it need to be painted?
  • My damper is only 5" wide...how do I get a 6" pipe through it?
  • How does the plate attach to the damper?
Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 6.15.31 PM.png

I recently purchased a new Oslo Wood Stove From Jotul. I want to arrange it with a damper sheet metal interface (as seen in the attached picture). My questions are:
  • How is this traditionally done? What has been your experience?
  • Does anyone sell a commercially available plate for this application? Or do I need to engage a sheet metal fabricator?
  • How thick does the steel need to be? Does it need to be painted?
  • My damper is only 5" wide...how do I get a 6" pipe through it?
  • How does the plate attach to the damper?
View attachment 307990
You are going to want a full liner from the stove out the top

Full liner with a cap, preferably insulated, a must if your existing masonry chimney has crack in the clay tiles or not enough clearance.
The route you want to take will be a nightmarish route after the 1st seasonal usage, when you clean your chimney all the crud will drop and rest on top of the sheet metal, either the sheet metal, chimney pipe and possibly stove need to be moved to clean the crud or it sits and waits to ignite and burn the place down since it will be roaring possibly over 2100 deg f, this will also contribute to that musty fireplace smell in the summer months when it’s hot and humid out. A full liner will keep the crud only dally towards the stove which is much easier to clean. Plus the stove will draft better and run more consistently since the flue volume will stay the same from stove collar to chimney cap (this will be noticed the most during warmer or moist days)

Definitely go for the full liner to the chimney top. The stove will perform better and there is less opportunity for creosote formation.

Here are some tips on a damper area sealing block-off plate.

When I installed my insert I had to partially demolish the smoke shelf to get more room for both the stove and the liner. You may need to do the same to make room for the flue.