Dare 4

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ausy94

Feb 18, 2021
PA
So i moved into a house that has a dare 4 fireplace insert. The chimney is tile lined and i was wondering if i could use the insert without a metal liner? Was told i could build a fire right in the current fire place if the insert was out of it. The back of it is just a rectangular opening with a dampener anyways. Worried about the risk of flu fires and such i didnt want to burn without knowing. Thanks

So i moved into a house that has a dare 4 fireplace insert. The chimney is tile lined and i was wondering if i could use the insert without a metal liner? Was told i could build a fire right in the current fire place if the insert was out of it. The back of it is just a rectangular opening with a dampener anyways. Worried about the risk of flu fires and such i didnt want to burn without knowing. Thanks
Yes you need a liner hooked to the insert to use it. You may be able to pull the insert and use it as an open fireplace we don't know the condition of the fireplace and chimney though

Chimney was inspected and fine when cleaned by our local chimney service.
Did they pull the insert and scan it with a camera? If so then yes you can probably safely use it as an open fireplace