Darn Mice! Wood stove chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

John Pauley

Jun 16, 2020
Kingston, NH
Hi Everyone!
I am new to the forum and also a newish homeowner. My house came with a wood stove (1979 All Nighter) and I absolutely love it! Now that we are not having fires this summer anymore we have started to hear mice behind the hearth. Even had to catch a chipmunk and a few mice in the basement... The stove pipe exits the house and enters a single flue chimney. Being suspect of if there was some way of their being a hole, I bought a borescope and took a look. Between the chimeny and where the stove pipe leaves the house there looks to be some sort of fiberglass cloth? Looks like there is a hole in it that would be ideal for a mouse to get in. I have attached a picture. Is this fiberglass typical of a wood stove chimney install? If so, how the heck do I go about fixing it as I can't remove the chimney of course. I should be able to remove the stove pipe and the pipe that goes through the wall and into the chimney. I have attached a few pictures (hopefully recognizable by someone who knows more than I do), thanks for anyone who can help and sorry for the winded post!

Attachments

• 20200616_063948.jpg
    20200616_063948.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 295
  • 20200616_063903.jpg
    20200616_063903.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 283
  • 20200615210634.jpg
    20200615210634.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 299
The mice battle is a continuous one. They will enter especially in the fall to stay warm. You need to constantly seal and repair areas they nibble on to get in. I would suggest having a professional sweep to look over your stove/chimney set up.

I have been battling rats and mice at my house since I built it 24 years ago. Two years ago I won the battle when I started buying electronic rat repellers off of Amazon. Just look for ones with good reviews, price between 25 and 45 bucks. Buy several different models because I believe each model has a slightly different frequency.
Put 3 or 4 in the basement and bye bye mice and chipmunks.

They do not bother my dog.

Try packing in some steel wool in the hole.

Never had to deal with rats and i hope i never have to!!This time of year in Vermont the mice are moving in the house and its quite annoying. I like the electronic idea in theory for the house. At Deer camp i try to maintain glue traps throughout the yr. I used to set mouse traps with strings so they wouldnt run to far after getting snagged. Tom cat glue strips work well and i believe they have them for rats as well.