data logging insert stove temp with thermocouple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tkirk22

Nov 20, 2007
VA Mountains
I'm finishing up a data logger to monitor radon levels in my basement and trip an evacuation fan. It has other capabilities so I'm going to also use it to monitor various other things like temperatures and stove temp.

I already have the electronics to read most types of thermocouples. Should I read flue gas directly via a fitting in the stove connector or should I mount the thermocouple on the outside of the liner under the insulation? Does anyone have any advice on a good probe to use? Can I scrounge one from an oven or boiler?

Ultimately I want to be able to control the circulation fan and trip some type of over-temp warning as well as an under-temp reminder. Maybe I'll even add a moisture probe.

I know it's a little "nerdy" and overkill but this is a "test bench" for a solar system monitor.

Kirk

It probably doesn't matter where you measure for your purposes (operate fan, over-under temp). However, if outside the flue, then it becomes a relative measurement for over-under temp...you'd need to correlate/translate at what point those measurements are the equivalent of the stove being too hot/cold & warning being issued.
Maybe an probe inside the flue or firebox would be more useful? Perhaps you could automatically log those results into a graph so you could see how the stove performs overnight, with different types of wood, different air settings etc.

Sounds interesting. Good luck.

elmoleaf said:
It probably doesn't matter where you measure for your purposes (operate fan, over-under temp). However, if outside the flue, then it becomes a relative measurement for over-under temp...you'd need to correlate/translate at what point those measurements are the equivalent of the stove being too hot/cold & warning being issued.
Maybe an probe inside the flue or firebox would be more useful? Perhaps you could automatically log those results into a graph so you could see how the stove performs overnight, with different types of wood, different air settings etc.

Sounds interesting. Good luck.

The main thing is that I'm trying to decide if an inside flue probe would be that much better vs using an external probe that would last longer.

I decided to make my own thermocouple probes. It will be cheaper that way and give me a chance to experiment with different methods. The graphing of the data is mostly done and accessible from all computers on the network. Next week when I get back to the house I'll upload some graphs of what happened when I was gone.

Your idea of logging the different types of wood and air settings is good. I was planning on an LCD readout with two buttons which could handle the "type of wood" portion via a scroll menu. It would also fit in with a moisture meter. To be realistic though, that's at the bottom of the list as I have way too many other things to do. Also, my wood identification skills are at the level of: wood, not wood, rotten.

If anyone wants to help however ???

Kirk

Status
Not open for further replies.