Dcon Pellet replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfitz3

Feeling the Heat
Jan 6, 2015
Northern Michigan
The last time I bought dcon, I bought in bulk. Ran out this fall and discovered it has been discontinued an the only options on the shelf required pretty active oversight. I want something I can set out in the barn and garage, the forget about. Anybody have ideas? Cats are not gonna happen here.

Tried a michigan zip code on Lowes.com and they seem to still have it and ship it. Not bulk though. I think a lot of stores are getting away from selling it.

Cats are not gonna happen here.
Neither are are any other animals if you keep putting out poison.
Apologies for the critical tone but one of the main reasons you can't find that stuff anymore in most places is because it was killing foxes, birds of prey, pets, etc. when those animals feasted on the dead rodents. If that's your intent then to each there own.
Some just don't realize the impact using that stuff has.
Stepping off my soapbox...

Last edited:
Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Tomkat, block and pellets

Primary effective compound "warferin" in Dcon Now most use zinc phosphide

Replaced strychnine that was is a real chain killer. They die in steps. Probably the reason for loss of most of the vultures and Condors out west.

Last edited:
Pellets are less effective than blocks as the rodents can hoard it. People will find it in their shoes, pillowcases, etc. They can't move a secured block so they must eat it there. Warfarin also has been around so long that rats and mice are showing resistance to it. There are better options out there to use as a rodenticide. Zinc phosphide is an option. Be sure to keep the bait covered as it can work quite well on non targets.

EPA had the manufacturers stop manufacturing poison without tamper resistant bait stations at the consumer level.

You might find old stock on a shelf somewhere but when that s gone it is gone.

Even though you can still buy replacement cube baits for the bait stations they are still a bit safer for use around kids, pets and other wildlife than pellets.
I haven't seen pellets for a while so I don't know if they even make them any more.

Bill it Must be out east thing. Local farm store had a sale two weeks ago and I would bet 1 in five of us checking out had this in our cart
DSCN0680.JPG

Explains why everyone was buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.