De-laminating firebricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodcutter Tom

Feeling the Heat
Apr 28, 2019
Northern Illinois
I noticed that a few of the firebricks on my Drolet Escape were coming apart. The top 1/4 inch seems to be coming apart from the rest of the brick. These are on the bottom of the firebox. Used stove for 2 seasons. Is this normal? These are a pumice style firebrick.
I also noticed that bricks on the side of the firebox are bending. They are no longer straight. They bend inward, away from the outside of the stove.
Should firebricks be rotated and flipped over periodically?
There are two sizes in the stove. SBI wants $7.00 each for the smaller size and $3.50 each for the larger ones.

Firebrick 1.jpg Firebrick 2.jpg

That does seem premature. Swap them out with some of the floor bricks showing the least wear.

I always leave some ash covering our firebrick floor. They are pumice too. 14 yrs old and still doing well. This may also be attributed to mostly burning low ash producing doug fir. I only clean out the firebox 2-3 times during the heating season.

Reactions: Woodcutter Tom
Leave some ash on the bottom of your firebox. Also, you can get firebrick at most big box stores, it is not that expensive. In no way will it curve, if is a fully cured ceramic. Firebrick should last for years unless it is cracked or damaged by an impact, although it is pretty tough stuff.

Pumice firebrick is a bit harder to come by and more expensive. It's also softer. PE recommends leaving an inch of ash on the firebox floor after cleaning. That seems to help a lot.

Reactions: PaulOinMA
I will try leaving more ash on the firebox floor. I usually would get as much as I could out of the firebox. I'll try leaving an inch or so.
All the firebricks have been flipped so that damage is on the downside and the side bricks curve the opposite direction.
Pumice and the other style firebrick are very different from each other. Pumice is softer. I do not know which holds the heat better. Or if one is considered 'better'.

Pumice is a better insulator then dense firebrick, but they do need more care.

Reactions: Woodcutter Tom
I will try leaving more ash on the firebox floor. I usually would get as much as I could out of the firebox. I'll try leaving an inch or so.
All the firebricks have been flipped so that damage is on the downside and the side bricks curve the opposite direction.
Pumice and the other style firebrick are very different from each other. Pumice is softer. I do not know which holds the heat better. Or if one is considered 'better'.
Pumice is a better insulator, ceramic is heavier and retains heat longer (more mass).

I like the heavier brick. Sturdy, a little more heat transfered to my living space, retains heat longer, and is locally available at a much lower cost. Cut the full size bricks into the custom size you need using a $20 angle grinder with a $9 masonry wheel. And, most importantly, safety glasses.

Pumice bricks should be used if they are OEM. Changing them to standard firebrick changes the emissions data for the stove and clearances, both of which will be then untested.

Spin the bricks around, good side out, and you're good to go for a while. I found that the floor bricks start to de-laminate when I don't scoop the ash often at the front of the flooor area by the boost manifold holes. Those jets bake the shat out of the ash and any by-product in them, and it creates a hard pile/chinker that stick the the top of the front brick(s). When you do finally scoop the ash, they chinkers take a bit of the brick up with them. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. I scoop the front and any piles that are forming a little each day, and no more issues. The sides and back are from splits waking against them.

Could you please rephrase this? I don't get it.

I have gotten the hard pile/chinkers. I did not know how they were formed. Thanks.
Meant to say wacked. The side and rear wall bricks will chip, crack & delaminate if splits are wacked against them while loading the stove.

Consider getting new for the sides and leave an inch os so on the bottom over the old bricks. Each year I keep the first few fires small and don’t run too hot; my hope is to get any moisture out of the brick slowly and not cause them to crack by hitting them with a large hot fire.