Dead ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Of course it will be the same....its the same log....my point is if you use the meter correctly on a split measuring with the grain my guess is, on your log, the reading / average would be in the mid 30's...unless the tree has been sitting on the ground for months.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

electrical resistance will not change. Electricity does not care if it across the grain or with the grain. Left, right, up, down, backwards, or forwards. The resistance is the resistance is the resistance. If you ohm a resister, exact same thing this is doing, you will get the same reading no matter what direction it is in. Unless it’s a diode then you’ll have problems.

You’re making my head hurt...

electrical resistance will not change. Electricity does not care if it across the grain or with the grain. Left, right, up, down, backwards, or forwards. The resistance is the resistance is the resistance. If you ohm a resister, exact same thing this is doing, you will get the same reading no matter what direction it is in. Unless it’s a diode then you’ll have problems.

You’re making my head hurt...
Well if this is the case please correct every post on here on how to measure moisture with a moisture meter who wrote differently.....or ask a Mod to make your method bold and permanent up top.

Well if this is the case please correct every post on here on how to measure moisture with a moisture meter who wrote differently.....or ask a Mod to make your method bold and permanent up top.

The difference is in general people are measuring stuff that has had that end grain exposed for a long time. So in general when testing firewood you should not use end grain. But in this case on a fresh cut end it will be really close to what you would get on a face. There may be some slight variation because you are measuring across the structure instead of with it. But not very much. Certainly not enough to matter with the basic meters most guys use. They don't even adjust for species so they aren't very accurate to begin with

Reactions: Woody Stover