Dead Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Niro

Burning Hunk
Jul 13, 2021
Northern Westchester NY
I got 4ft by 6ft of recently split standing ash on the top front row of the wood I plan to start from this year. The issue is I split and stack it a week ago and it's currently at 24% on a fresh split.

I won't start burning for 2 week and I have 2 weeks worth in the house. So my question is will it be ready in a month or should make kindle wood with half and restock the other half out of the way to buy more time and get into dry stuff.

Reactions: Kevin Weis
I got 4ft by 6ft of recently split standing ash on the top front row of the wood I plan to start from this year. The issue is I split and stack it a week ago and it's currently at 24% on a fresh split.

I won't start burning for 2 week and I have 2 weeks worth in the house. So my question is will it be ready in a month or should make kindle wood with half and restock the other half out of the way to buy more time and get into dry stuff.
It's very doubtful

A few months, maybe. 2 weeks outside, nope. If you can bring it into the house or a heated area in boxes or totes for a few weeks it may drop down to 21% which would be burnable.

If in the garage, put an oscillating fan blowing across the stack for faster drying.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I have a bunch of dead ash that I split and stacked at the end of July. Most of it was between 24 and 27%. Just checked a split and it was still mid 20's. What I don't know is what the original moisture content of that particular split was. So I may have gone from 27 to 25 or It may have been no movement at all.

Was this standing dead ash, or fallen and on the ground? Was the wood stacked right after being split and top covered?

Was this standing dead ash, or fallen and on the ground? Was the wood stacked right after being split and top covered?
My dead ash is a combination. The top half of the trees snapped off and was on the ground for an unknown period of time, The bottom half of the trees I dropped. Both were split and stacked under a covered area. However, Since this was all done in one shot. I cannot state with any certainty if the latest split I tested was from the downed sections or from the sections that I dropped. I have another pile of dead ash that I recently bucked up from downed dead trees. One of those was multi-trunk and a section was a good foot off the ground. A portion of that section (top part of the tree) was under 20% but as I move towards the base of the tree the moisture content goes up ranging from 25 to over 40%). I am still splitting that (Leaf cleanup taking my outdoor time). Hoping to encounter a few more below 20 . Some is 22, I am going to let that sit for a bit. Trying to get the higher content on the bottom of the stack so as I split (hand maul) I meter test and then put into separate piles so I can stack the lower content on top.

What is also important is if it was *stacked* off the ground.