Dealer wants me to buy a Blaze King

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Both the ashford and the hearthstone require tall chimneys. If it’s all perfectly vertical, no less than 15’ from top of stove to cap.

My bk on low heats the heck out of my 1700 SF1963 built home to well below freezing, when we get into the teens and single digits I need to bump it up a little to medium.

Noncats are great when you want balls out high output.

Is there any manufacturers with the similiar catalatic system that provide flame quality and longer burn time?
The cat stoves all make great flames at higher output levels. If flames at low output are a top priority then maybe consider a propane stove?

Yes but as someone who has run several high quality tube stoves and a blaze king I can tell you without question the tube stoves put out more heat over an 8 hour burn with pretty much the same wood. Yes having the 12 hour or 24hour capability is nice but I really don't use it much. Most of my heating season is done running 8 hour cycles.
That’s weird since all modern stoves have pretty much the same efficiency rating. That means that they all deliver pretty much the same heat per lb of fuel.

Is there any manufacturers with the similiar catalatic system that provide flame quality and longer burn time? What about the Green Mountain 60? A local dealer sells them.
If you have visible flames you aren't going to have burn times much over 8 maybe 10 hours. It just doesn't happen

Reactions: Woody Stover
That’s weird since all modern stoves have pretty much the same efficiency rating. That means that they all deliver pretty much the same heat per lb of fuel.
What is the efficiency rating of a princess running an 8 hour cycle? I can tell you the exhaust temp of the princess is higher than the regency running at 8 hour reloads.

Is there any manufacturers with the similiar catalatic system that provide flame quality and longer burn time? What about the Green Mountain 60? A local dealer sells them.
It sounds like the aesthetics of the stove is an important consideration. Is that right or would a simple black box be ok?

Will the stove be required for mild-weather heating or is the primary system good for that?

Reactions: bholler
What is the efficiency rating of a princess running an 8 hour cycle? I can tell you the exhaust temp of the princess is higher than the regency running at 8 hour reloads.

I've never had a reason to run a princess that hard since it heats so well on low. The EPA does the testing with far better instrumentation and no bias. You've also got to realize that it's not just the temperature of the flue gasses but also the flow rate that determines how much energy is being shot up the stack which is a big part of how efficiency is measured.

As you've pointed out in the past, the efficiency of all of these stoves is pretty close. Not enough to make a difference so splitting hairs on the issue is a waste of time.

Reactions: stoveliker
If you have visible flames you aren't going to have burn times much over 8 maybe 10 hours. It just doesn't happen
Would you say that's generally true for any stove? cat, noncat, or hybrid? If so, I tend to agree that flames will be out after 8-10.

It sounds like the aesthetics of the stove is an important consideration. Is that right or would a simple black box be ok?

Will the stove be required for mild-weather heating or is the primary system good for that?
It would be nice to see a pretty flame wouldnt it? Its very pleasing to my expiring eyes. I wish i could find a flamer that could go like 15hrs. or so.

I've never had a reason to run a princess that hard since it heats so well on low. The EPA does the testing with far better instrumentation and no bias. You've also got to realize that it's not just the temperature of the flue gasses but also the flow rate that determines how much energy is being shot up the stack which is a big part of how efficiency is measured.

As you've pointed out in the past, the efficiency of all of these stoves is pretty close. Not enough to make a difference so splitting hairs on the issue is a waste of time.
So my personal experience after years of burning wood and working in this field mean nothing? Again I am in no way saying blaze kings are bad stoves at all. Just that their strong point is low and slow. If that's what's needed I will recommend a bk every time. If you need more BTUs I don't think they are a great fit

Would you say that's generally true for any stove? cat, noncat, or hybrid? If so, I tend to agree that flames will be out after 8-10.
Yes of course which is why I made that general statement.

It would be nice to see a pretty flame wouldnt it? Its very pleasing to my expiring eyes. I wish i could find a flamer that could go like 15hrs. or so.
That just isn't going to happen. For burn times that long it is going to have to smoulder

So my personal experience after years of burning wood and working in this field mean nothing? Again I am in no way saying blaze kings are bad stoves at all. Just that their strong point is low and slow. If that's what's needed I will recommend a bk every time. If you need more BTUs I don't think they are a great fit
If you need a link to the EPA efficiency list I believe it is right there in the stickies. For a reason. Unbiased information is available there for all.

Many of us members have run both technologies for decades and I can agree that the BKs are ideal at low AND medium outputs. They don't do max output as well but at least one member runs his that way, if that's all you want (max output) then I would save money and buy a tube stove.

I think we're saying the same thing bholler.

Those propane stoves are pretty great. Seriously, no maintenance and constant flames with constant output. No noise, no smoke.

If you need a link to the EPA efficiency list I believe it is right there in the stickies. For a reason. Unbiased information is available there for all.

Many of us members have run both technologies for decades and I can agree that the BKs are ideal at low AND medium outputs. They don't do max output as well but at least one member runs his that way, if that's all you want (max output) then I would save money and buy a tube stove.

I think we're saying the same thing bholler.
Exactly so why do you argue with me every time I say it?

Then you could do ok with a hybrid then like the GM60 or GM80. Or a 3 cu ft non-cat stove which will provide about 12 hrs of meaningful heat in milder weather and 8 in cold weather.

Reactions: Highbeam
Man, I can’t imagine having 8 hour burn times. I hate building fires. It really comes down to your lifestyle. If you have someone that can tend it or your home to fiddle with it. The flame show is only cool for so long. It’s a heater. You can crank it up and burn the glass clean pretty easily. It’s worth the extra money for me

Stoves don't bend physics. At a given burn rate, wood will exhibit flame. Reduce air input, and it may just glow, with no flame. Reduce air farther, and it will just look dead and black, invisibly releasing wood gas to feed secondary combustion.

But this has absolutely nothing to do with cat vs. non-cat, it has only to do with wood and physics, not the box in which they're burning. Both stoves will move through these phases at the same burn rates, assuming they're able to turn down low enough.

Cat stoves get all the "black box" talk, because they can run down there, not because they must. But that's not saying you need to buy a cat stove, either... just clearing up a common misconception.

Man, I can’t imagine having 8 hour burn times. I hate building fires. It really comes down to your lifestyle. If you have someone that can tend it or your home to fiddle with it. The flame show is only cool for so long. It’s a heater. You can crank it up and burn the glass clean pretty easily. It’s worth the extra money for me
8 hour cycles work perfectly for me. Load before heading down to the shop load 8 hours later which is usually about when I get home. Then load before bed. Yes sometimes I get home late and I have a bit less of a coal bed. But that's no big deal

Are you still running the princess bholler? If not, what did you switch to?
Yes I am. I typically run each stove for about 5 years. This one could have been less of the owner wanted it back. As I have said many times I like many things about the stove. I just wish it put out a little more heat on the upper end

If I want flame, I fire up the gas fireplace. I'm looking for the best MPG from my wood stove, and the BK has far exceeded my expectations. I've had other stoves but they didn't hold a candle to the BK. I have two of them

Reactions: Nealm66
Status
Not open for further replies.