Decision to make. Jotul 400 or Jotul 500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

izzyq

Dec 27, 2012
Long Island, NY
We have been looking to find a gently used wood stove. We've been looking for 10 months and are really hoping to be up and running this winter. We had someone come to check our chimney and all is go once we find the stove. We found 2 possibilities on craigslist that we will look at this week. The first is a Jotul 400 and the other is a Jotul 500. The 400 is from 2011, the 500 is about 5 years old, used for 2 seasons. Each seller is asking for $1000. Both are out of state but my husband will go check them out and decide which one, if either works for us based on condition, etc.

Our home is a ranch about 1850 sq ft and the stove will be in the center room in the house. This room has cathedral ceilings. It is not a new house but it's not a drafty farmhouse either. We want to use this as our primary heating source but if the bedrooms are not toasty that's ok, we have heated mattress pads on all the beds.

All things being equal. Which stove would you prefer and why? Also, any problems specific to these 2 stoves that he should make sure to look for? I have seen the post on what to look for in general just curious on anything specific to these stoves.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Last edited:
If you are in the north east, I'd go for the Oslo, particularly if the goal is 24/7 heating. Do you have ceiling fans at the top of those high ceilings? They'll be needed to move the heat that will stratify up there.

Reactions: PapaDave
If the Oslo is in good condition and not over-fired . . . the Oslo hands-down . . . based mostly on the larger firebox and desire to use this as your main heating source as you should get longer burn times.

Definitely the 500 Oslo as long as your hearth can accomodoate the side door. I would not try to heat any space larger than 1,400 feet with the 400 Castine in New England

Thank you all for your answers and for that link to the other question similar to mine from a few years ago. Very helpful. Hopefully the 500 will work out.

Yes we are in the North East and we do have 2 ceiling fans in the cathedral ceiling. It is an open floor plan LR/DR/kitchen but the cathedral is only in the LR. I hope this stove works out.

Follow up question-This stove was purchased 5 years ago, used for 2 seasons and has been sitting for the last 2. Is there anything special you need to do for a stove that hasn't been fired in awhile?

First inspect the stove carefully. Look for any signs of abuse - warped baffle, secondaries, greyed paint, etc.. Look for any cracks. In particular, closely examine the grate and the base areas surrounding the grate for cracks. Some fools use the ashpan door to start the fire or to burn unseasoned wood. That is bound to crack the grate and/or base sooner or later.

After the stove is installed, do a couple break in fires using only kindling so that it just get the stove top warm. Let the fire go out between these break-in fires (ok to do them both in the same day). Then let your next fire be a bit larger, say with a couple splits and kindling. Let it go out. Now you are ready to burn a full fire.

Is the F500 enameled or painted?

Unfortunately the 500 is gone. We are rethinking our stove choices because we are getting nervous about how a stove needing such a large hearth will fit into our livingroom. We are sitting down tonight to decide what's most important to us, fire viewing area, stove footprint, oil use for heat, price etc. We need to reassess and go from there. I'll be back. Can't wait to come back and say we have finally purchased and are up and running. :)

Good luck with your "sit down". Just to add a few cents, the time of year is getting short for getting the wood burning items together in order to make a serious run at heating with wood, but it's not impossible. I'm sure heating with oil or gas will work if it's already in place but the cost will be tough, then again the startup costs for wood burning an be right up there too. Maybe sticking out this year with what you have and looking into wood heat for next season? Just a thought.

If I had a huge stack of firewood ready to use and was heating with oil that 400 or maybe an Englander from Home Depot might be an attractive Plan B. I wouldn't be too heart set on a great deal from Craigslist or even used. Craigslist here is rather full of old crap for stoves anyway.

As it was said before the season is upon us. You may factor in the cost of your oil or gas heat and your time and expense of getting the used stove to your home. By the time you find a used stove to fit your needs you may have spent more $ than buying a new stove with the added advantages of a full warranty and a dealer to back up the sale. A used stove can come with many unknowns. But of course you have found this site, and these folks are very knowledgeable and can help you jump over any hurtles you have in the way.

LOL Diane B THAT was the 500 listing I was looking at but it was gone quickly. :) We had our sit down last night and I think we decided that a smaller footprint in our livingroom is very important and for the stove style we both like our budget is going to need to be increased. We are hoping to go see a Hearthstone Heritage and Manchester in person and then if we like one as much as we think we will we will move a few things around moneywise and buy one of them new. I keep thinking I'd really like soapstone but the Manchester has peaked my interest. I'm hoping one will "speak" to us.

It' hard to feel like "the season is upon us" when it's been 75 degrees here the past few days. Once I get the stove in I'm going to be wishing for the cold weather to hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.