Dedicated Broiler Room/Wood storage building

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RyanB

Jul 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Hi all, been quite a few years since I posted last on this forum but my plans are finally coming together for my new shop (3000sq/ft) heating my existing 1200sqft shop (combo of 2" spray foam & R22 Roxul in the walls with R80 in the attic) and a 2000sqft bungalow with spray foam/roxul and R60 in the attic. The new shop will have full in-floor heat with inslulated slab, 14' ceilings and R22 Roxul (still having a hard time remembering to call it ROCKWOOL now after the name change!) and at least R60 in the ceiling.

We live in Southern Ontario and average temps in the winter are around -10c but will get down to -30c in late january

My problem if you can call it that is I keep coming back to having a dedicated boiler/wood storage building set away from the other buildings. (I am a cabinetmaker and insurance won't let me have open flame in the shop building). I am going to have 1000g of storage with 2 stacked 500g propane tanks. I also in the future am thinking about a small 4 cylinder diesel or propane genset for producing 3phase power as I don't have 3phase close to our property and am not a fan of phase converters but that's a whole another topic!!!!

My question is for a dedicated boiler building/wood storage building what size are others running? Anyone have any pictures of theirs?

Thanks in advance....Ryan

i picked up an atco trailer 10x40 and it is my "boiler room". my garage burned down in 2014 (electrical) and when i rebuilt it i dident want the wood, soot, smoke mess in the new garage. the atco is on wheels, and i had a loader dig a ramp down into the yard about 2 feet deep, then backed the trailer into it, thus lowering it closer to ground level. with some storage at the back, and the boiler at the other end, it holds 10 full cords of wood, dry and out of the weather. in summer leave the doors and windows open to dry the wood, in winter the place is warm from the boiler. if you can , set it up a safe( think insurance co.) distance from other buildings and run your lines from there. if possible put all your storage tanks in heated spaces for max effeciency.

Reactions: flyingcow and RyanB
forgot to mention, because its a trailer with wheels still on it, its not an additional building that you pay taxes on.

Mine is around 20x26 built all out of recycled wood and finishes.
I decided on my size by the materials i had.It was actually defined by the amount of roofing i had.
I have 2 vertical 500 gal tanks and have room for 2 more on the boiler side.Originally it was going to be split in half with a wall and have a warm shop for the wife's car.But i changed my mind,so i never split it in two and i claimed the other half for my hobby work space.

My building is 16x24, it houses a 2000 gal garn and 4 cord ( full cord) comfortably. In hind sight I would have made it big enough to hold 10 cord, and a overhead door to get

Damn I really like that idea.
i had considered using a shipping container 10x40 but they were selling for 5000.00 plus 1300.00 for delivery, and it would be looked at as a building and taxed as such. found the atco for 3000.00 and there is no taxes for trailers, plus its insulated and has windows and an electrical panel in it, just had to run a cable from the house.