Deer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BKVP

Minister of Fire
Deer season opens October 1st in Oregon. I can't wait to cut wood since the wolves ate all the deer.

We need you out here, Chris. I'm not exaggerating when I say I could hunt deer with a frying pan, from my kitchen window. We are completely awash in them.

No wolves here, just sedans, pickup trucks, and SUV's.

Come on out yonder way Chris. You can mow as many whitetail down as ya please. Or the state allows>> We are lousy with the dam_ things. Hardly dare drive from sunset till past sunrise. Unless your in a tank! Get a turkey tag as well. Thick.

Reactions: Highbeam and BKVP
I am glad we do not have Wolves here in Maine Coyotes are bad enough on the herd. Where I am located deer are around but can be scarce. I spent 75 hours 15minutes hunting hard last year before I saw my first deer of the season... Let that sink in a moment.
I shot him,.. nice buck but would have shot a doe if that is what had shown up. 6 miles north of here and I used to see 1-3 deer per day just a different location can make all the difference. I hunt on my own property now and don't go any place else.

My brothers up in the libby, Troy area in Montana and says the towns are thick with the deer who’ve figured out it’s the safest place away from the wolfs. Driving the locals nuts lol. What’s a NIELS ?

Plenty of deer here. Have to stop for them often, and saw a couple in my yard as I pulled in the driveway yesterday.

Rifle season for deer starts November 15 here. Practically a state holiday and even some high schools have the day off.

Last edited:
Trying to get this person by me to quit feeding the deer as coyotes are around all the time and some of us have small dogs.i guess if I wake him up at 3 in the morning with bear bangers he might get the hint

20220320_095329.jpg

Same here, we presently have a 9 lb. dog coming up on her 20th birthday. Completely deaf and blind at this point, we now have to carry her from food bowl to back yard, and back. Amazed the hawks have never taken her, they've taken our some of our chickens easily larger than this dog, let alone coyotes.

IMG_4442.JPG IMG_4445.JPG

The deer standing near the dog is pretty normal, they ignore each other. Once I found the dog standing literally UNDER a deer, they were both happily eating fallen mulberries out of the grass, neither worried about the other until I came along.

To top it off, based on your photo, I'm beginning to wonder if the "enormous fox" I see crossing my back yard most days is actually a coyote. I had never realized how similar they look to a fox, other than length of legs. I will need to inspect him with re-educated eyes, next time we cross paths.

IMG_6234.JPG

... and in keeping with the post at the top of the thread, this little'un watches me make my coffee, most mornings. Mama and sibling are usually within a dozen yards, if not looking thru another window into an adjacent room.

IMG_7673.JPG

Reactions: NickW and marty319
Doh! Maybe our little old lady of a dog is so ancient and gamey they no one wants her!

Either way, I guess we'll need to keep an even closer eye on her, than we already do. The kids would be quite upset if a coyote got her.

Thanks!

Dunno, I would say that's a fox, a large one, but a fox. Foxes are redder, often have dark boots, and a white-tipped tail. Coyotes are leaner, taller, tanner, and have a black tail tip out here. They resemble a dog more. They are similar animals, but with differences.

red-fox.jpg Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 2.46.19 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ABMax24
I am glad we do not have Wolves here in Maine Coyotes are bad enough on the herd. Where I am located deer are around but can be scarce. I spent 75 hours 15minutes hunting hard last year before I saw my first deer of the season... Let that sink in a moment.
I shot him,.. nice buck but would have shot a doe if that is what had shown up. 6 miles north of here and I used to see 1-3 deer per day just a different location can make all the difference. I hunt on my own property now and don't go any place else.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Dunno, I would say that's a fox, a large one, but a fox. Foxes are redder, often have dark boots, and a white-tipped tail. Coyotes are leaner, taller, tanner, and have a black tail tip out here. They resemble a dog more. They are similar animals, but with differences.

View attachment 299330 View attachment 299331

Agreed, it looks just like our Red Foxes.

My twin boys(13 years old) just past their hunting core and are extremely into white tail hunting, they both got one last year with there junior license with my tags, it was a tough hunt, this years looking no better. About 5 years ago and before you picked and chosed your deer and where usually tagged out in about 2 days(3 deer). They introduced wolves here about 12 years ago, maybe a coincidence but I think not. Now wolf tracks are everywhere around. Lots of city people moving here to and most think it's ok for there dogs to run deer, more added pressure on them during a hard winter

If you have coyotes in the neighborhood, you most likely will hear them. They love singing out in packs. Foxes are more yippy and tend to be solitary.

We don’t ever hear them. I’m hoping for fox, not that they’re exactly cuddly, but assuming they’re less likely to bother messing with a small dog.

Looking a pics of the Eastern Coyote, I can see how they could be mistaken for a wolf or vice versa.
I'm not sure I could tell the difference between them but I will be doing some research/reading.

I'm not sure I could tell the difference between them but I will be doing some research/reading.
From the pics on the interwebs they look fuller-faced, with a thicker coat.

Reactions: thewoodlands
We don’t ever hear them. I’m hoping for fox, not that they’re exactly cuddly, but assuming they’re less likely to bother messing with a small dog.
Aw, they can be cuddly, within limits.

Reactions: Ashful
Coyotes hold their neck and head differently than foxes.

I think that's a fox.

I've seen many coyotes (and a few bobcats)at night crossing in front of my car on a reservation closed to the public in TN. They are more like a muscular German shepherd (slightly smaller than one, but same attitude).

The tail of this one is bushier, and the leg length seems off for a coyote. It is big tho for a fox.

Reactions: Shank and Ashful
If you have coyotes in the neighborhood, you most likely will hear them. They love singing out in packs. Foxes are more yippy and tend to be solitary.
I hear the coyotes yelping in the distance usually around midnight. Heard them more this year than any other.

In TN the yipping was most in March..one hill shouting to the next

We hear small dog noises at night, little yelps which I always took to be fox. Never heard any howling.

I hear the coyotes yelping in the distance usually around midnight. Heard them more this year than any other.
We have packs multiplying locally too. I have heard them at dusk as close as the bottom of the driveway.