Defiance Company of Calumet, Michigan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Galt

Jan 13, 2014
S.S.R. of Maryland
New here and already searched the forums. Unfortunately the only info that came up was an old install manual that leaves a lotta holes (still more than we had but just not quite enough). Just hopin' to find someone who may know somebody who has or previously owned one of their Volcano III boilers. My buddy is trying to connect his to an in-slab PEX system and would benefit greatly from any help. We've also contacted the current iteration of the original local dealer but no one there remembers or had anything... so, figured I'd run it up the flag pole here and see if we get any hits. Thanks in advance for your help and or consideration. Think I'll go poke around in the boiler archives some more.

Not anything in documentation for the Volcano Boilers, but I was familiar with it.
Someone had posted a manual - you can try to send them or other members in that thread who mentioned the boiler a PM....
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/defiance-volcano.10479/page-2

As you see, the links are now broken due to the person maybe doing away with their photobucket accounts....

Short and sweet - that is a very low volume water boiler and is very prone to quick overheating (boiling) because they use either a metal pillow filled with water or silver soldered copper coils. Make you you install TWO PR values close to the boiler with no valves in between them and the heat exchanger and make sure you plan includes what you are going to do if the power shuts off (about 2 minutes and you'll be in full steam).....

A tank above it with a thermosyphon look may be one solution.

Be advised also that this boiler certainly does not put a lot of heat into the water...compared to those with more extensive water jackets and surface areas. It will put some heat into the area around it.

Hope that helps.

Craig

If you do get a manual, forward it to me and I'll post on the wiki.

This is a long shot, but this company was the BIG distributor many many many moons ago. I would be certain somewhere in their files exists a manual, but whether they are willing to dig it up is another story.....
http://www.maceenergy.com/

What's is it that you need? Parts? Pretty simple boiler, rated output isn't much help unless its accurate. Since it's a slab application what do you plan on using to control temp and or anything between boiler and slab?

If unit is in good condition, it should be a very good project. I would highly suggest buffer tank

Sorry no help here on info,I too have searched last two years. Nothing of use

Good luck

Much appreciate the response. Already been in contact with the new owners at Mace and they've got bupkis. When the original owner moved the biz from Rising Sun it sounds like nothing from the by then defunct Defiance line made the trip.
As for this particular model, yes it has the pillow type heat exchangers, and you hit on exactly what had us a little worried... the what if the power goes out scenario. The system is supposed to allow for a thermo-syphon but obviously that isn't going to flow the volume that it does when the pump is on. There's a Samson valve on the rear that controls the damper, but again, its obvious that a wood fire ain't gonna respond instantaneously.
So the set up that my buddy has been noodlin' through is basically his circulating pump, so far a single P/R valve, and a scoop, along with a mixing valve and an IBC tote for buffering. Got lots of fittings and little to no idea how best to put it all together so far. He's sending me his photos later so I can post for comment.
Did find a working link to the manual (such as it is) here, but it's pretty generic and of no real value for this install. Can't find the pdf at the moment. Think I printed it out for my bud and then deleted but I'll find it again.

What's is it that you need? Parts? Pretty simple boiler, rated output isn't much help unless its accurate. Since it's a slab application what do you plan on using to control temp and or anything between boiler and slab?

If unit is in good condition, it should be a very good project. I would highly suggest buffer tank

Sorry no help here on info,I too have searched last two years. Nothing of use

Good luck

Sorry, you replied while I was composing another reply.

Yeah the unit's in great shape. Most immediate issue is that he moved it four years ago, removed the firebrick and two long narrow grates from the firebox and now, no matter how much we drink, we just can't figure out how the devil they all fit back in place. ;)

His install locates the unit in its own 10'x20' room on the back of the house (has an overhead garage door out to facilitate wood handling).
The boiler ties right to a masonry two story chimney right next to it and there are three seperate manifolds that will be fed by a single Taco circulating pump. One manifold is for the room where the boiler sits. One is his 14'x14' kitchen, and then there is a 26'x26' main room on the third. All of his floors are insulated across the bottom and sides with PEX-AL-PEX running on 12" centers.
I'm pretty sure his mains are all 1-1/4" including the connections to his pump, scoop, and now a mixing valve. Also picked up a 275 gallon IBC tote to sit in the same room as the boiler for tempering/buffer. Now we jsut need to figure out how to plumb it all together. He has one PRV, but two sounds better. Gonna try and post some pics as soon as he gets them to me.
Thanks again to any and all for their input. Greatly appreciated as we stumble around blindly. :)

So he sent some pics over this morning. The surface rust is from recent storage. Actually looked like new prior to that. The long skinny removeable grates next to the fire brick is part of what we can't figure out how they fit . Also can't figure out how the bricks arrange. The rear view has the two 1" capped pipes that just pass thru into the rear of the main fire box. Any guesses as to what they might be for? And last but not least, suggestions on how to plumb the mixing valve, HP relief valves, scoop, pump, and buffer loop to the IBC tote (if it's a good idea to use at all). He has one pump to supply the three hydronic PEX manifolds.
20140107_172729.jpg 20140107_172541.jpg

Attachments

• 20140107_180149.jpg
    20140107_180149.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 519
  • 20140107_180603.jpg
    20140107_180603.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 361
Status
Not open for further replies.