Defiant Encore Damper Handle insert screw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

maz1

Oct 19, 2015
Hi all
Just broke the insert screw on my defiant encore damper handle.
Can seem to find this part available without purchasing the entire handle for 30 bucks.
I'm sure that I can source this at a hardware store however it cracked while tightening so I fear that it will come out in pieces should i I remove it in order to measure it or bring to a hardware store.
Anyone know the size of this inset screw on the damper handle size or where I may purchase one similar?
I
think that you guys know the part I'm taking about but if I wasn't clear enough it is the screw insert in the damper handle that tightens the handle to the damper lever on the left.
Thanks all
James

Sems to me that's a 5/16 allen head screw, prolly like 1/2 " lomg or 3/8" perhaps? It's the set screw that roke? Dude that's weird.

Yea, every couple months I tighten it when the damper handle gets loose and starts slipping too much.
This time I gave it a nice crank and I heard a crack, removed the allan wrench and sure enough the screw has cracks in two places.
I don't want to back it out without a new one as I'm sure that the only thing holding it together is the hole that it's snuggly sitting in. I'd like to find a replacement insert screw/set screw that might cost a dime without having to purchase the whole dang handle for 30 bucks...

I'd obviously don't know the size of this insert 'set' screw or the thread pitch or anything.

Wondering if someone here knows ...?