Defiant repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mick sutton

Sep 14, 2012
I have an old Defiant II with a gaping hole where a piece fell out of the lower fireback. I managed to find a replacement part online, but it came without installation instructions. It looks to me as if both the stove back and top need to come off. I have managed to loosen the four screws in the stove back but am at a bit of a loss where to go from there. I haven't found anything in the discussion threads that quite address this problem. Does anyone know where I can get hold of installation instructions?

Start a conversation with Defiant if he doesn't catch this thread. He can help you out with this one.

So I don't believe there's a repair manual any more, but there IS a pamphlet that comes with the Defiant II fireback kit called," Defiant Top To Bottom" or something similar. That should be helpful, and feel free to ask me anything if it's unclear. I'll tell you that replacing only the lower f.b. will likely be a problem. The other parts in there are not going to be as straight as the new part, so will not fit together well, if at all. Give yourself a break and get the whole fireback kit. Trust me. Part number is 5837. And instrutions will come with, how good is that?

Reactions: Defiant and remkel
I have done it twice and it requires disassembling the entire stove. That is not a bad thing as you will end up resealing the stove and sealing up the secondary air tube which is one half composed of the two ribs on the back of the fireback. When you are done you effectively have a new stove. It takes me about 8 hours with most of the time spent scraping and wirebrushing all the old stove cement out of the joints. Its a great tiem to paint the stove. I use a small electrci angle grinder and a course wire disk for most of the work. It is messy and I would recomend a dust mask at a minimum and possibly a HEPA respirator as I think stove cement contains a lot of silica.

Reactions: Defiant
Thanks for the helpful responses. I don't have a whole lot of experience at this sort of thing but I'll probably order the Defiant fireback kit and give it a go.

The instructions with the kit are great, they assume that you are beginner.

Reactions: Defiant
Status
Not open for further replies.