Defiant restoration with questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Off Belay

Dec 19, 2017
Westchester, NY
I was given an old Defiant by a family member who bought a house and does not burn wood. It was in fair shape (missing two doors plus some surface rust). After doing some research I confirmed that my fireback was cracked so I decided to take the whole thing apart and restore it from ground up. I've never restored a stove before so I am excited to learn as I go.

While taking it apart I noticed there was some mesh screen apparently installed in the secondary chamber between the fireback and the back wall. It looked like it was just above the holes that run along the lower portion of the fireback. I can't find anything that leads me to believe that was from the factory. Can anyone confirm?

So far i've managed to take it apart (without breaking anything) and started removing the old cement and surface rust.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated considering this is my first go at this.
IMG_4232.JPG IMG_4233.JPG IMG_4234.JPG IMG_4235.JPG IMG_4236.JPG IMG_4259.JPG IMG_4260.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
When you buy the 1A1 fireback kit it'll come with instructions including where the screen goes. Don't forget to buy a new left end with door assy., as yours won't support the 2 piece fireback replacement.

Hold up, did you say it's missing doors? Not good!!!!! That could be a deal breaker. Doors are no longer available. Also, at the time they were making this stove the holes for the hinge pins were drilled by hand I think as doors from one stove don't generally fit another stove. The hinge pin holes just don't line up. May have to punt, sorry.

Hold up, did you say it's missing doors? Not good!!!!! That could be a deal breaker. Doors are no longer available. Also, at the time they were making this stove the holes for the hinge pins were drilled by hand I think as doors from one stove don't generally fit another stove. The hinge pin holes just don't line up. May have to punt, sorry.

I found a website that supposedly has doors available. They definitely have the left end with door assembly listed. I do have all the doors. however two of them have broken hinges. I could get them repaired if I can find someone to do it.

I also have the cracked fireback, It's still in one piece but the crack is visible on both sides... Doubt that is fixable. Thanks for the heads up about the new fireback with the left end. I had no idea.

FYI, unless you are doing this for sentiment, the cost of the parts is getting up well over the value of the stove.

Reactions: Off Belay
Peakbagger is right, but moreover whoever says they have Defiant doors is wrong, they haven't been made for 30 years and they wouldn't fit anyway. Sorry, but it might be time to either rethink this project or find another part stove. Before you do anything, feel free to post here or p.m. me or someonewho can advise. This looks like it may not have the outcome you wish, but it might be possible to get something good to happen here.

I havent looked lately but Defiants pop up on occasion on Craigslist and frequently they have been upgraded to two piece back. The first time conversion to a two piece back is the expensive part. Even the two piece back will crack eventually and when it does it a lot cheaper to swap it out. It still takes awhile as most folks disassemble the stove and reseal it while they are at it.

I see used defiants with cracks selling in the 300 to 600 dollar range in the off season. The thing you need to be careful is most people just want to sell the darn thing and may not know if it is two piece back so you may end up making a deal, getting there and finding that it an old one piece (or a newer Neverburn design).

Theres No sentiment behind this one. I'm gonna do some digging and see if I can find a parts stove, otherwise I'll sell this one as parts and put that money towards something else.

This was going to be a workshop/man cave stove in my cellar. I was planning on cutting through the floor above and adding a register to help heat the living room above, as my wood stove insert is on the other side of the house.

Thank you for all the advice guys.

Greetings Stove Experts,
I have a 1975 Defiant that has the famous fireback crack that is now much worse. Been using the stove for all this time in Detroit and now North Carolina. I have been in contact with Graham the Stoveman, he suggested I go here for what I need.
Looking for the link to the original Defiant owners manual, but more important the printed instructions on how to repair this model with a new fireback. I have all the parts except the wire mesh, caulk and cement.
Can anyone help me find that paperwork? Am new here and appreciate the wisdom.

Stephen Csiszar Carthage, North Carolina

this is the best i can due

Attachments

• old Defiant rebuild instructions.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 493
  • Vermont Castings Manual pages 1-8.pdf
    865 KB · Views: 287
  • Vermont Castings Manual pages 9-15.pdf
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 271
Just an update on this project. The stove has been dismantled and cleaned. I have all the parts with the exception of the legs. I'm looking to get rid of the stove as is...