Dehumidifiers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Retired Guy

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2011
Cape Vincent, NY
Last year I put in a 70 pt/day dehumidifier in my basement and for the first time had a dry and musty odor free cellar. Of course the one I bought was made by Gree (China) and is subject to recall. Anyone know of a brand that hasn't been recalled? Hopefully one made in the US.

I have had three dehumidifiers, While they keep everything dry, the also suck electricity like crazy. I wonder if an air exchanger might not be more efficient?

Models from these brands are made by Gree and subject to recall. Not a lot of options left for moderate/low cost units. Aprilaire does make a couple of models in the sub $1,00 range. Just need to see what happens with the recall. I wonder how much water the hybrid electric water heaters take out of the air. The thermastor models look good.

Danby,Premiere, De’Longhi, SuperClima, Fedders, Fellini, Frigidaire, Gree, Kenmore, Norpole, Seabreeze, SoleusAir

How recent is the recall? I had a Frigidaire that only lasted 2 years and I had to fight to get it replaced on the sealed system warranty. New unit is only 6mo old.

I have a 70 pint danby that I use a couple hours at a time to keep it around 50-60%. Its draining to a shower drain in my basement, but I do not keep it running constantly because it heats the area up 5+ degrees F. The fan on the Danby runs constantly. Do not like that feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.