DeWalt HEPA Cordless Vac

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loudog

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
I just picked up this Bad Larry a week ago and wanted to share my experience.

DSC_0667.jpg

I'm not sure if anyone has been using one, but it's been a huge help. Obviously not good for hot coals or ash IN the stove, but I use it to keep the hearth and ash lip clean which has made dust in the room essentially non-existent. Much different than when using a dustpan/brush.

Comes with HEPA filter, uses any DeWalt 18V battery. I just keep it by the hearth and do a quick 15 second vac job in between loads. Loving it. One charge lasts about almost a week, and I'm using the lower grade DeWalt batteries.

It's $80 without the battery at Lowe's or on Amazon.

What exactly are you vacumming?

I sweep my stove pad, ash lip, etc every couple weeks as it stays fairly clean. About the only thing I get is a bit of bark "crumbs" falling off the wood as I put it in the stove.

You must have a much cleaner procedure than I.

I get some ash on the lip and hearth most times I load from the process somehow. Either the rake has a bit attached to it as I pull it out, or I rake a bit onto the ash lip while I'm bringing coals forward. Or some ash makes it's way out as I'm cleaning the ash bed up.

And yes, also crumbs from the wood. So, I'm cleaning up ash and crumbs.

I have one of those as well and am very happy with it. I figured it'd be a better investment than a "dust buster", plus I already had other batteries and tools. It's worked pretty well for cleaning up the hearth. I picked up a small 1-1/4" floor tool at Lowes so I could clean a wider swath at once.

Thank you for posting this loudog. I've been hauling my shop vac (which I put a hepa filter in) into the house from the garage every time I clean around the stove and it's a pita. I was debating a dedicated ash vac but I don't vacum much ash since my stove has an ash pan. That Dewalt is exactly what I need. Unfortunetly I don't have any 18v Dewalt tools so I had to buy one with a charger and battery. In addition, I ordered an extra filter but even at $179 I think it will be worth it considering it has other uses an ash vac would not have had.

Status
Not open for further replies.