did I buy the right chain sharpening kit ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
I have an old Jonsered 625 with an 18 inch bar, marked on the bar is 3/8 - 05.8 on the chain itself the cutting teeth have a 25 stamped on them and on the chain links is husqv. Went to Lowes asking for advise the guy sold me a 3/8" filekit which has 7/32"(5,5mm). He said it would work BUT is it correct ? Some advise before I use it.

kwikrp said:
I have an old Jonsered 625 with an 18 inch bar, marked on the bar is 3/8 - 05.8 on the chain itself the cutting teeth have a 25 stamped on them and on the chain links is husqv. Went to Lowes asking for advise the guy sold me a 3/8" filekit which has 7/32"(5,5mm). He said it would work BUT is it correct ? Some advise before I use it.

yes 7/32" file is for 3/8" chain
.058 is your chain gauge and does not change the cutter size

It means 25 degrees is the proper sharpening angle. That would be a good angle for hardwoods. And if your chain has a witness mark on the back of the top plate it will give you something visual to sharpen to. Either 25 or 30 degrees will work well. The sharper the angle the shorter time the tooth will remain sharp. But inversely, the faster the cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.