Did I damage my stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sd303

Dec 4, 2007
central NJ
I have a Jotul F400. Im a first year burner. Yesterday I put in a couple of oak splits, put the damper 3/4 down and watched as my secondary burn took off. The oak I'm using is 2 years old and appears to be very dry. About 20 minutes after I loaded the stove I started to smell the same "paint" smell as when I broke the stove in. I looked at the surface temp and it was 750 degrees. I read in the manual optimal temps are between 400 and 600. Shorlty after the temps were pushing 800. At that point I got nervous and put the damper all the way to the left. The seondary burn subsided and about an hour later I had a surface temp of 550. The surface temp never got above 800 degrees. Do you think I damaged anything in my stove? Are there any signs I should be looking for? I've been burning since September and have rarely reached surface temps above 600. This was the first time I used the dry oak splits, now I'm hesitant to use them again. Am I being too cautious?

It's most likely OK. I occasionally saw 750+ temps with the Castine. It handled it fine. FWIW, it's not uncommon to run this stove at 650+ daily.

So the "paint" smell is ok? I followed the break in procedure exactly as the manual stated back in the fall. This experience is making me question whether its safe to keep doing overnight burns. I usually load her up before I go to bed.

Yes, stoves that reach high temps can have a unique "I'm getting really hot" smell. I suspect it is all the dust in the crevices being burned off but not sure. Our old 602 loved to take off. The smell was like a built-in smell alarm for when it did.

I noticed whenever I reached a new "hottest" temp with the stove the stove would smell- just far points on the stove that haven't got that hot before. Through inattention I've let mine get to 750+. I think what people worry about is more long term aging and degradation of the cast iron. Somewhere on an earlier thread someone said they talked to a Jotul tech that said no worries up to 700- worry over 800--- Where's your temp gauge placed?
Others more experienced will chime in, but the fact your stove is drafting well and your wood is dry is all good. Just be more agressive dampening down the primary air. It's taken me a couple months, but I've stopped worrying overnight and leaving the house if its closed down properly. (well I still worry, but I'm able to sleep or leave the house with a fire going).

You should be ok. I talked to a couple different techs at Travis Industries who said 700-750 for a stove surface temp. is fine.
BTW I kinda like that High temp. smell that the stove gives off. It lets me know what the temp. is without having to peak around the corner to read the gauge.

Shouldn't be a problem. Remember there's always a delay time between adjusting the air and the burn responding. If you see it getting hotter than you'd like it to be, take some air out of it. Rick

It may depend on the specific stove model? Our Jotul 602 would go up to 750-800 pretty frequently, especially when burning fir. I rebuilt it after a 20 year run. The stove castings and enamel still look great.

Yah, my Avalon Olympic can get around 700-750F with only 2 splits, big splits but only 2. Then of course I get that smell that drives my wife mad and instantly starts an argument with me :shut:
Hey talking about dust in the crvices whats the best way to get that out, any recommendations on what to use to blow it out. Computer dust blower in a can?

[quote author="JFK" date="1233371953"]Hey talking about dust in the crvices whats the best way to get that out, any recommendations on what to use to blow it out.
Heat up your stove and burn it off.
Electric baseboard heaters, space heaters and furnace elements all do the same thing if they haven't been used in a while.

I want some of that 700* oak!!

Summertime said:
I want some of that 700* oak!!

Ive got some 750* 1 and 2yr seasoned spruce and pine Ill sell ya for half the price. Delivery not included.

I'll get my dogteam ready north of 60, do you take out of country checks?? LOL!

Carbon_Liberator said:
JFK said:
Hey talking about dust in the crvices whats the best way to get that out, any recommendations on what to use to blow it out.
Heat up your stove and burn it off.
Electric baseboard heaters, space heaters and furnace elements all do the same thing if they haven't been used in a while.

I wish it was that simple, I have burned my Avalon over the last couple of months really hot sometimes with and without the blower on, and I mean 900F plus to get rid of any curing smell. Sadly I still get the smell when the stovetop temps get to around 700F. I don't like to burn my stove that hot, I like 550-600F, but it tends to shootup with really dry wood and only a couple of splits.
I gotta still find a way to get long burns and manageable (none smelling temps) with stuffing the stove. I am sure I will figure it out, first real burning season with this stove. My father in law has the same stove, now its 10 years old, but he burns it hot sometimes and there is never a trace of that smell at higher temps.

I guess I will try a longer burn at 650-700F, maybe 4 or 5 hours at that constant temp, trying to hold it the hold time and that should take care of anything around that temp

Status
Not open for further replies.