Did I sweep my chimney well enough?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rmarx1987

Sep 25, 2021
New York
Hello,

Getting ready to install my liner. Curious as if I swept my chimney and flu good enough. I swept from bottom up and top down. There is still some black residue on the brick and cinder block. At what stage is this safe enough for the liner to send down? I did read about the different levels of creosote build up, but I need some reassurance before I take any further steps. Any information would be super appreciated, thanks.

IMG_20221008_110258.jpg IMG_20221008_111107.jpg IMG_20221008_111112.jpg

Hello,

Getting ready to install my liner. Curious as if I swept my chimney and flu good enough. I swept from bottom up and top down. There is still some black residue on the brick and cinder block. At what stage is this safe enough for the liner to send down? I did read about the different levels of creosote build up, but I need some reassurance before I take any further steps. Any information would be super appreciated, thanks.

View attachment 300141 View attachment 300142 View attachment 300143
Yes it looks good

Reactions: Rmarx1987
The liner isn't, so I need to parge the mesh plate with the hole for the liner, then do the pour down vermiculite insulation around it. My flu is too small for the blanket around the liner

The liner isn't, so I need to parge the mesh plate with the hole for the liner, then do the pour down vermiculite insulation around it. My flu is too small for the blanket around the liner
Looks like the liner + blanket would fit if ovalized.

If you don't have room for wrap you absolutely don't have room to properly insulate with pour in. Pour in needs 1" of thickness on all sides. Wrap only needs 1/2"

Not per the square inch exhaust on my appliance. Had to get an oval liner to meet those specs.
Yes you would need a larger diameter liner ovalized to match the volume

Ok. Well I already have and paid for everything. The gentleman from Rockford chimney supply directed me to this route of sizes and installation procedure. Is it that detrimental to not have the proper 1" amount of pour insulation around?

Ok. Well I already have and paid for everything. The gentleman from Rockford chimney supply directed me to this route of sizes and installation procedure. Is it that detrimental to not have the proper 1" amount of pour insulation around?
Unless you have all the required clearances to combustibles from the outside of the chimney structure your install wouldn't meet code and could be a safety risk.
And honestly if they gave you advice that wouldn't meet code I would demand they either refund your money or send you the proper materials to do a code compliant install. Did they even mention the thickness of pour in required or ask about clearance to combustibles?

They never asked those particular questions, no. So because it is oval, there is more than 1" of space in the corners, however, on the sides, it's about 3/8" of space. This would be considered insufficient then I assume?

Attached is a rough template of the liner held up against the top of the flu.

IMG_20221010_170139.jpg

They never asked those particular questions, no. So because it is oval, there is more than 1" of space in the corners, however, on the sides, it's about 3/8" of space. This would be considered insufficient then I assume?

Attached is a rough template of the liner held up against the top of the flu.

View attachment 300290
Is that a 6" equivalent or 8" equivalent liner?

So the outlet square inch measures to almost 40. The oval square inch measures to 42.4. That is why I needed that size, since a circular liner wouldn't fit down the flu. I checked the everguard pour down insulation web site, and I did see the 1" needed for code. However, it does state that in narrow chimneys, it's the only insulation possible to use. Am I dead in the water right now? Is it super dangerous to not have the 1" insulation around certain spots, but have more than 1" in certain spots? I'm not sure they make a liner to my specific appliance outlet, and if they did, doesn't it need to exceed the square inch of the outlet?

So many concerns, sorry to trouble you. I just want to proceed with the appropriate tasks at hand.

Also, check out this cool blower cabinet I built (more of a shroud).

IMG_20221002_151353.jpg

So if my flu interior dimensions are 6 3/8" x 11", and the oval is 5.5"x9.4#, at the thinnest gap, I'll still have 7/16" of insulation between the flu and the liner. I know it's not the 1" to code, but will it not still suffice?

So if my flu interior dimensions are 6 3/8" x 11", and the oval is 5.5"x9.4#, at the thinnest gap, I'll still have 7/16" of insulation between the flu and the liner. I know it's not the 1" to code, but will it not still suffice?
To meet code? No. To be safe if you have combustibles touching the outside of the masonry structure? We have no idea other than it's not what testing has shown is required