Did my end of season clean out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodsplitter67

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2017
Woolwich nj
I finally did my end of season cleaning. Ran the soot eater down the pipe. Cleaned the cap. did the inside of the stove. I got this dry black powder out of it. I'm thinking of some paint and door and griddle gaskets. I'm looking forward to October and my first fire 20210605_163008.jpg

Reactions: gthomas785
Looks great. You are living right.

Reactions: Woodsplitter67
Is that all you got out of it and you burn pretty good too...? clancey

No that's not all that I got out of it. My stove pipe is 8in so I think I got like 2 to2.5 cups out of it. I like the dry consistency to it. I just took a sample out and put it on a napkin. The cap had some crusty on it but not alot. We did alot of low burning as our winter was not very cold and there were many new fires started as compared to continuously burning. So to be honest.. I thought it would have been much worse. My stove is burning pretty clean and my wood is dry.

If I am reading this right then the more you burn the cleaner your pipe will be and for you starting so many shorter fires should have been worse but you been burning clean so it was not that bad so everything is okay--Yes...But two and 1/2 cups and I would like to see what it looks like with not good burning--Is it thicker and chunks or something for this is going to be a learning lesson for me I can tell you but I have not started a fire yet but I am getting ready for it--lol --hate to get my pipe dirty--So if you burn hot and long then you are in better shape when you burn dry wood..,Thanks clancey

so yes hot fires are good but that's not what I did alot of this year. My stove is a cat stove and it wasn't as cold this year as compared to say 4 years ago. I was heating alot in low with the air cut back. so if the stove is not running correctly the chances of creosote build up is high. In years past I would go 10-14 days with out the stove going out, but again it was warm so sometimes I was starting the stove 3 or 4 times instead of once in the same time period. Starting the stove and getting it up to temp in another time of creosote buildup. So I was happy to see what came out of my clean out. It was dry no glazing at the top. Im not saying I didn't burn hot at all, just not as much as in years past. I am happy with my setup, it's worked well for me.. Many months in the past I normally burn with the air 3/4 to 1/2 open this years there were times I burned that way but there were many more days with the air 1/2 way to fully closed. Every year is a little bit different and we need to change what we do some..

If the flue gases are kept above 250º then creosote is unlikely to form. The problem is that it is difficult to measure the flue gas temp as it exits the chimney cap. So as a general rule keeping the flue gases hotter, say 400º probe temp on the stovepipe, ensures that they will be hot enough exiting the chimney. Of course, there are exceptions. A long exterior chimney exposed to 10º temps is going to cool flue gases down quicker than an interior straight-up chimney. Note that this just applies to the outgassing stage of the fire. When in the coaling stage, the creosote causing volatile gases have been burned up and soot build-up is not a problem then.

Gosh there is so much to know and be aware of and I am still looking for my air thing that you opened woodspitter about 3/4 to 1/2 and do I have such a thing on my Roby non cat stove? Where is it? clancey.. There is a silver coil like thing under the door is that it? I thought this was a vent or something connected to the door...Just wondering if that is it and do I need to use it to slow and make the fire go hotter..

I'm not familiar with your stove, me giving you advice on it is not a great Idea. When I'm talking about cutting back the air, my stove is a pre 2020 cat stove with a primary air control. This allows me to cut the aire going in the stove for lower temps and longer burn time.. I dont know your stove but I can look it up, The best thing is to read the owners manual and burn as the manual recommends.. Im no expert, I believe that the newer stoves burn hotter to meet the emission standards, and don't allow for as much air to be cut back..

Gosh there is so much to know and be aware of and I am still looking for my air thing that you opened woodspitter about 3/4 to 1/2 and do I have such a thing on my Roby non cat stove? Where is it? clancey.. There is a silver coil like thing under the door is that it? I thought this was a vent or something connected to the door...Just wondering if that is it and do I need to use it to slow and make the fire go hotter..
what model stove is it

Reading the manual is a good place to start. Operating Instructions start on page 24. Note that it is obvious that the manual was written by someone for whom English is a second language, so understand that there are several errors due to misspellings or awkward naming of some components.

Last edited:
Someday I will read it and for now I think I know where it is for it is the only gadget deal on the stove besides the handle..It slides back and forth and I guess that"s the thing that lets in the air or shuts up the air so as to have less or more burning...The manuals seem to be so very technical for me and I tried reading them but no enjoyment there.. lol clancey

Someday I will read it and for now I think I know where it is for it is the only gadget deal on the stove besides the handle..It slides back and forth and I guess that"s the thing that lets in the air or shuts up the air so as to have less or more burning...The manuals seem to be so very technical for me and I tried reading them but no enjoyment there.. lol clancey
Read the damn manual it isn't about enjoyment it is about education. I can believe the number of people with no clue how to run their stove and when I ask if they read the manual they laugh and say no, they are worthless

Ha Ha...getting to you --I will read it when I get some quality time...Yes we are all worthless..lol clancey
That is the customer saying the manuals are worthless. I hear that statement constantly many time from people struggling with their new stove

We are all in the same boat and the manual is greek to us and makes it even more complicated then it has to be--people want simple language..You air mixer is under the door..period...I do understand your frustration but time here is the up most--thanks dear forum friend and just keep plugging...lol clancey.