Digital temperature sensors for storage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
002.JPG
004.JPG
Hi
I bought some from Ebay a few years ago.Just installed them this fall so far so good.IIRC they were around $12.00 each with free shipping.Can be used in either F or C as you can see by the one pic002.JPG 004.JPG

Where do you get the 12v supply from?

I used a modified computer power supply. It cost me no money but alittle bit of my time. And the amp output is enough to power a whole wall of these temp readout monitors. I'll try to remember to take a picture when I get home.

Reactions: Marshy
@Marshy and @Woodman1 here's my power supply and the back side of the readout panel. It's a bird's nest but I tried to tame it best I could. I bought a couple hundred feet of 18-2 wire to lengthen all the sensor probe wires that couldn't reach their destination.

20180125_171825.jpg

20180125_171839.jpg

20180125_171845.jpg

Reactions: sloeffle and Marshy
Have a half dozen powered by one wall wart.

Wall wart?

It’s a power supply that has all the regulating components inside the plug and usually a barrel connector on the end or whatever the manufacturer decided to use to connect to their products. Usually tells the input voltage and output voltage on the tag and how the power comes out of the connector. Just need to cut the end off and wire into whatever you’re powering.

Just need to make sure it’s the right output voltage as there are many different ones.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Wall wart?

Mine came from a long broken toy of some kind. Check around, you might have an unused adaptor kicking around the house. Or if like me, several. Just an ordinary ac/dc adaptor that almost every electronic gadget comes with. Some are different voltages, so just check the sticker on it.

Wall wart?
This is a wall wart.
wallwart.jpg

This is two wall warts up to no good and not even plugged into a wall.
ww2.jpg

This is a gathering of some wild and crazy wall warts and not plugged into a wall. Some peoples kids plug in anywhere.
ww3.jpg

Reactions: sloeffle and Marshy
These digital temp sensors are powered by a plug-in power supply that might be used with a laptop. It is visible under the display panel. Higher voltage and current output. This has been in service for several years without any issue.

upload_2018-1-28_4-18-10.jpeg

These digital temp sensors are powered by a plug-in power supply that might be used with a laptop. It is visible under the display panel. Higher voltage and current output. This has been in service for several years without any issue.

View attachment 221874
How did you make the connection from the laptop power supply to everything else?

The power connection was made by cutting off the DC supply plug from the power supply, making sure which lead was +, and then wiring in parallel the power connection to each of the meters. The meters I had could be powered by 12-24VDC, and I just had to make sure the rating of the power supply was sufficient to supply all the meters. Higher voltage just resulted in a brighter display. Each meter has a separate temp sensor to the various measuring points. You can see the connection cables above the meter box.

Reactions: Marshy