Direct vent oil boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bungiex88

Feb 10, 2017
Central pa
Hvac guy was over at the house fixing my boiler after I couldn't figure it out. And I was asking him what he would do if I wanted a coal wood stove to use the 1 chimney I have what would he do about the oil boiler and how to vent it. And he told be if I'd go with a new boiler that the new high efficiency oil boiler that they are direct vent now which with my current basement setup that would be a lot nicer then power venting my old boiler. My question is do they have these boilers down to pvc venting or do you still have to run a stainless vent. I was thinking about going with a budarus boiler.

Does your present boiler need replacing?

Yes and no. It was put in back in 88 but didn’t get much use since my o always fired with coal until it broke for good in 13 or 14 and he ended up just using oil and oil only since he was in his 90s. And I have a kid on the way so it would almost be nice to have that peace of mind. I woke up Christmas Day this year on the coldest day of the year and it had quit working. But the main reason I would want a new one is so I can run a stove out the main flu and if I get a new boiler I can just direct vent it out the side of the house. So my boiler I have now still does the job but it is aging and I don’t think it’s very efficient. It’s a burnam v series from 88

The reason I asked is that if your present boiler still has a few years left, it may be worth adding a direct vent. Unless things have changed in the last 10 to 15 years the flue still needs to be metal. I had a Budurus back in 1999 with a Reillo burner and had quite a bit of trouble with it. In really cold weather the cold incoming air caused the burner to sputter and eventually flame out. And it wasn't cheap to buy.

HOWEVER, the new direct vent retrofits aren't cheap either. Just got a quote for one for one of my commercial rentals and it was over three grand.
If I were you I would get multiple quotes for each scenario.