Direct Vent stove on B-vent Flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Question: (LP, Freestanding) Can I vent a Direct Vent stove on a Natural vent system (masonry chimney with a single wall flex flue insert), if I simply connect to the exhaust portion of the co-axial starter, effectively allowing fresh air to draw from the room though the outer of the starter.

High All - First time post long time reader. I recently found a Vermont casting Wonderfire model 2570 for a song. I never owner a LP stove before so I began the long research project. My home was build with masonry chimneys which have, all over the years, been upgraded with varying sizes of natural vent liners. I understand the efficiencies of the direct vent system but I'm trying to make budget and don't want to install a 800$ co-axial or co-linear flue system. I'm below grade in this installation so popping out the wall isn't an option. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm worried about pressure differences and the safe operation of he stove.

Question: (LP, Freestanding) Can I vent a Direct Vent stove on a Natural vent system (masonry chimney with a single wall flex flue insert), if I simply connect to the exhaust portion of the co-axial starter, effectively allowing fresh air to draw from the room though the outer of the starter.

High All - First time post long time reader. I recently found a Vermont casting Wonderfire model 2570 for a song. I never owner a LP stove before so I began the long research project. My home was build with masonry chimneys which have, all over the years, been upgraded with varying sizes of natural vent liners. I understand the efficiencies of the direct vent system but I'm trying to make budget and don't want to install a 800$ co-axial or co-linear flue system. I'm below grade in this installation so popping out the wall isn't an option. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm worried about pressure differences and the safe operation of he stove.
Every gas stove or fireplace is tested and listed with the approved pipe that can be used. You should only use an approved pipe and acceptable venting configuration ( according to your respective install manual).

Reactions: Tjune54 and DAKSY
Every gas stove or fireplace is tested and listed with the approved pipe that can be used. You should only use an approved pipe and acceptable venting configuration ( according to your respective install manual).
I will add to this by saying that if all your eyes are not dotted ,and all your tees are not crossed ,you are opening yourself up to the possibility of your homeowners insurance denying your claim should there be a fire. Its been my experience that insurance companies just love finding stuff like that!!!

I would also mention that even if you do not have a fire, you may potentially harm yourself & your family with the by-product of combustion, ie. CO. Colorless, odorless & quite deadly. Is the money you save your chintzy venting idea worth more than the lives of your family? I certainly hope not.

Reactions: clancey