Direct venting question???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

turbotom1052

Jan 14, 2015
vermont
Ive been posting about my new to me Hearthstone Sterling 8532 stove with a top exit 4"x6 5/8" stovepipe. The placement of this stove in my home will only allow for a limited choice of footprint. My hope was to go straight up and through a cathedral ceiling with the required support box and terminating with the correct chimney. The problem that im facing is that in its very specific to me spot, everything above my roof will be coming up pretty close to the chimney for my oil burner. Ive looked high and low for info on just how close I can have it to another chimney. Could someone tell me the required distance between 2 direct vent chimneys, and if so is there a height requirement above and beyond the allready there oil furnace chimney. Im guessing that for the purpose of this discussion it will not matter that the installation of this stove will NEVER have me running both the LPG direct vent and the oil fired direct vent at the same time!!!

I read through the manual and could not find any mention of what is required for clearance to another direct vent termination.

I have attached the page from a HeatnGlo manual for reference. (This does not apply to your stove, you need to find out from the manufacturer what the specific clearances are for that unit)

Attachments

• Sterling-Ht 8532 Manual.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 135
  • 3f26cef9-67f0-4ec5-9dfd-f9fb3ddf3a74.pdf
    495.6 KB · Views: 119
I read through the manual and could not find any mention of what is required for clearance to another direct vent termination.

I have attached the page from a HeatnGlo manual for reference. (This does not apply to your stove, you need to find out from the manufacturer what the specific clearances are for that unit)
Thank you for the attempt. I myself have the manual and could not find it anywhere. Ive also tried contacting the manufacturer on a few different occasions via telephone and email, only to get no reply to either. Hearthstone.... if your out there listening you need to know that your customer service is very lacking!!!

I asked my son who is an HVAC tech in Canada.
He said as long as they are both chimney vents
with no fresh air vent then they can be side by side
one will not affect the other

I asked my son who is an HVAC tech in Canada.
He said as long as they are both chimney vents
with no fresh air vent then they can be side by side
one will not affect the other
They are direct vents that both exhaust AND intake fresh air within the same segmented pipe.

They are direct vents that both exhaust AND intake fresh air within the same segmented pipe.
In Canada, the distance is 18 inches between an intake and exhaust
if the intake is part of the exhaust then there is no separation required
because the intake air is used only for combustion.
The pipe manufacturer should be able to give you more information

Ive been posting about my new to me Hearthstone Sterling 8532 stove with a top exit 4"x6 5/8" stovepipe. The placement of this stove in my home will only allow for a limited choice of footprint. My hope was to go straight up and through a cathedral ceiling with the required support box and terminating with the correct chimney. The problem that im facing is that in its very specific to me spot, everything above my roof will be coming up pretty close to the chimney for my oil burner. Ive looked high and low for info on just how close I can have it to another chimney. Could someone tell me the required distance between 2 direct vent chimneys, and if so is there a height requirement above and beyond the allready there oil furnace chimney. Im guessing that for the purpose of this discussion it will not matter that the installation of this stove will NEVER have me running both the LPG direct vent and the oil fired direct vent at the same time!!!
Direct vents require terminations to be at least 36" from each other.

Direct vents require terminations to be at least 36" from each other.
Where did you come up with 3 feet?
Every installation is different and termination point distances are determined
by manufactures
Here in Ontario, most termination points are 12 inches apart with fresh air
intake being set 12 inches lower on center
Right from an HVAC-certified gas and WETT tech.