Disappointed - Enerzone Destination 2.3i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Unless I am seeing things it appears like you still have a very small load in the stove? Am I seeing things? I really wish you the best but small loads are going to be a hurdle to get the heat your looking for.
Potentially wet wood may be having a huge impact as well. It's amazing how much more heat you get with well seasoned fuel. Keep trying!
Please read above.

I adjusted the baffle to the back (it was off slightly) I’m concerned something might be wrong with the install. Or the stove is just a dud.
How tall is the liner overall? Try shutting back sooner and more.

I adjusted the baffle to the back (it was off slightly) I’m concerned something might be wrong with the install. Or the stove is just a dud.

I haven't needed to contact them myself, but I've heard that SBI Customer Support is helpful and responsive. Might be worth giving them a call.

I haven't needed to contact them myself, but I've heard that SBI Customer Support is helpful and responsive. Might be worth giving them a call.
Soooo? Enlighten me. What have I missed "above"? I've followed every post.

Can you detail how you are checking moisture content?
From a previous post on this thread! Didn’t mean to sound snarky. Lol. “I didn’t have the ability to source a LOT of seasoned firewood (read: I have some to mix in, checked with moisture meter), so I bought a pallet of grenheat wood blocks. So zero moisture content. Chimney is less than 25’ tall.”

From a previous post on this thread! Didn’t mean to sound snarky. Lol. “I didn’t have the ability to source a LOT of seasoned firewood (read: I have some to mix in, checked with moisture meter), so I bought a pallet of grenheat wood blocks. So zero moisture content. Chimney is less than 25’ tall.”
The wood blocks are not 0% they will be in the 10% range

I didn’t have the ability to source a LOT of seasoned firewood (read: I have some to mix in, checked with moisture meter), so I bought a pallet of grenheat wood blocks. So zero moisture content. Chimney is less than 25’ tall.
Well, I would say the heat output seems low for some reason, which concurs with your reporting. I would expect a higher temp reading.

Reactions: Colescoals
I noticed my first winter that the compressed blocks fall short of seasoned cord wood for heat output and duration. The bricks are at best the quality of nice dry white pine or maybe Balsam Fir. You probably get short burn times and less heat because the fire is not being turned down very quick and the bricks are releasing most of their energy up the flue. Not only do they not burn as long or hot as cordwood but they are a pain to get enough into the stove to provide good heat but not melt the thing down.

How many are you loading at a time? Those bricks are 7,000 BTU/lb, a pallet is supposedly equivalent to a cord of wood, but at 2,000 lbs that puts the bricks at low quality softwood in BTU content. You would have to load ten or eleven bricks into the firebox to get the rated output assuming 100% efficiency, which it is not. I just don't think you can fill the stove enough to reach rated output with compressed wood bricks.

I noticed my first winter that the compressed blocks fall short of seasoned cord wood for heat output and duration. The bricks are at best the quality of nice dry white pine or maybe Balsam Fir. You probably get short burn times and less heat because the fire is not being turned down very quick and the bricks are releasing most of their energy up the flue. Not only do they not burn as long or hot as cordwood but they are a pain to get enough into the stove to provide good heat but not melt the thing down.

How many are you loading at a time? Those bricks are 7,000 BTU/lb, a pallet is supposedly equivalent to a cord of wood, but at 2,000 lbs that puts the bricks at low quality softwood in BTU content. You would have to load ten or eleven bricks into the firebox to get the rated output assuming 100% efficiency, which it is not. I just don't think you can fill the stove enough to reach rated output with compressed wood bricks.
You’re likely onto something here, helpful insight. thank you! . The bricks go Mach 5 for about 10 minutes whether the stove is shut down or not. But the fact that it won’t transfer hardly any of that heat OUTWARD is the concern. I’m loading about 7 bricks at a time.

You’re likely onto something here, helpful insight. thank you! . The bricks go Mach 5 for about 10 minutes whether the stove is shut down or not. But the fact that it won’t transfer hardly any of that heat OUTWARD is the concern. I’m loading about 7 bricks at a time.

At 77% efficient seven bricks would yield about 21,000 BTU, hardly enough to keep your house warm and it would release that over a few hours, just like you have experienced. 20" Hardwood splits will get you closer to the 75k btu rating of your stove. Our first winter we mixed four bio bricks with a few splits of marginally dry birch for most of the winter and had the best results. The bio bricks work best to lower the average moisture content of a fuel load. Maybe in a catalyst stove they work better or perhaps the log shaped compressed products do better in a noncat stove.

At 77% efficient seven bricks would yield about 21,000 BTU, hardly enough to keep your house warm and it would release that over a few hours, just like you have experienced. 20" Hardwood splits will get you closer to the 75k btu rating of your stove. Our first winter we mixed four bio bricks with a few splits of marginally dry birch for most of the winter and had the best results. The bio bricks work best to lower the average moisture content of a fuel load. Maybe in a catalyst stove they work better or perhaps the log shaped compressed products do better in a noncat stove.
Thanks. I’ll report back with findings! It was between this and a Lopi and I think I made the wrong decision...

• I can get this thing SCREAMING hot (floor in front of unit from radiant heat) and the blower just won’t transfer heat out... am I missing something? The blower feels WOEFULLY underpowered (can’t feel heat more than 5 feet away)
I would check the blower ducts and make sure there is no blockage . Also, call SBI and ask them about this. It may be the blower can be replaced or even upgraded to provide more air movement.

Thanks. I’ll report back with findings! It was between this and a Lopi and I think I made the wrong decision...
I'm sure this product would be equal to the Lopi in terms of burning compressed wood products. The issue is the fuel source, not the appliance. However I don't think you will be able to fit any stove big enough to heat your whole house in your current fireplace.

I haven't tried this brand, but did test a couple of the big national brands like Bio-Brick and ECO bricks. They had specific instructions to create a wall of their bricks in alternated directions to minimize air gaps. It worked pretty well in the Castine with a steady controlled burn. Haven't tried them in the T6 yet. This might only work with highly compressed block fuel, there are some cheapies that expand too much and burn differently.

Another thing you could try is to mix in some dimensional lumber scraps or pallet wood with the bricks. That should get your fire ripping pretty good...just don't go too crazy and overfire it.

Are you dumping the exhaust into a big 12 inch clay liner or do you have a smaller 8 inch or 6 inch stainless steel insulated liner. It sounds to me like all your heat is going up the chimney

That 2.4cuft SBI firebox is definitely an effective heater, same firebox I have minus the EPA 2020 updates. Heating 2400sqft is possible at milder outdoor temps if the house is well sealed and insulated. As already mentioned the fuel is most likely the issue, my stove heats with spruce but not well, switching up to pine and birch makes a considerable difference in heat output.

That being said if the issue persists when burning dry cordwood it might be worth having your draft checked, this firebox drafts easily, particularly the secondary tubes, and the updates for EPA 2020 further worsened this.