disappointed with harmon pb105

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

riteaidmichelle

Dec 21, 2008
new york (hudson valley)
hello to everyone,
I just had a harmon pb 105 installed about six weeks ago for my 2400 sf ranch home. I just bought the home last summer it was built in 1960 and now I am finding out that it is very poorly insulated also. here is my dilema: I am having trouble heating this home with the harmon pb. I am going thru 4-5 bags a day just keeping the heat at 60. when I switch back to the oilburner I probably use the equivalent amount of fuel oil but the house is being kept at 65 degrees. What might be wrong here? is the house too big??? min is at 160 max is at 185 feed rate is at 4 and draft test was done. any help out here would be appreciated bc I feel as though I made a horrible investment.

Turn your feed rate up to 6. It will get the maximum BTUs out of the PB and your should be able to raise the temp in the house.

I fired mine the first week in March 2008, ran it all summer for DHW, I sure would be disappointed too if mine was burning 4-5 bags per day with only 60* in the house. I'm heating more sq. footage, three zones, 68*-70*, seven people using DHW, using an average of 2 bags a day this heating season, 2.5 bags when the temp was below zero. My home was built in 1970, not insulated well by todays standards. I'm now running mine with a feed rate of #5. Questions:

Did you self-install or hire the installation done?
Does the boiler ever get to the high setting of 180*or is it fired all the time?
What does the fire look like when (if) lets say at 160*, does the flame wrap itself around the heat exchanger tubes? How many?

riteaidmichelle said:
Thank you for your response. The dealer installed it. The boiler is fired all the time. Yes it does wrap itself around the heat exchanger tubes a few at the top.
After you turn the feed rate up to 6, observe how many of the heat exchanger tubes the flame is getting to, more than a few at the top I hope for peek performance.

What is the temperature of the supply out -- and what temperature does it return at?

How many zones?

What type of radiation?

What is the heat loss of the building?

Sounds like you need to add a lot of insulation. I don't know that there is anything more that can be done.

Hello,
I'll elaborate a few things mentioned here... but suffice it to say that if you want to try and solve your problems online, you'll need to do some homework about how hydronic heating systems work, and how your system is plumbed.

Heat loss calculation : basically, in order for a heating system to heat a house to a particular temp, it needs to be able to generate as much BTU as the structure is loosing at the same time. The heat (BTU) that a structure looses over time is dependent on the outside temperature, and the insulation value of the entire structure - that includes windows, doors, walls, etc. etc.
You can use programs to estimate the heat loss of a structure, and any heating system installation *should* start with a heat loss calc.

System supply and return temps: Give essential information as to the heat distribution (baseboards) system's performance. Easiest thing to do is to buy an infrared thermometer and measure the temps of the supply and return pipes.

What temperatures are you seeing at the boiler while your zones are on? Baseboard heat need hot water to produce significant heat - typically they are designed (how many feet of radiator) around 180F supply water.
Lower supply temps will significantly reduce heat output.
There are things you can do to help the pb105 maintain higher temps, but it does not function exactly like your oil boiler - particularly the delay between a call for heat, and a full fire.
How you pb is plumbed could be a significant factor in its performance - particularly how it is joined to your existing oil boiler. There is virtually nothing "standard" about how this is done... even though there should be!

I could go on...

Good luck!

Nat
Vermont
Pb105 #389

riteaidmichelle said:
i cleaned the boiler sunday and loaded 2 bags at 10pm sunday night and turned feed rate up to six. house heated at 65 but by 4am needed to add more pellets. help????
With the feed rate set on #6, the t-stats turned down so no call for heat, does the boiler reach the high setting (180*)? How long a period of time does it take to raise the water temp from 160* to 180*without a heat load on the boiler?

riteaidmichelle said:
i cleaned the boiler sunday and loaded 2 bags at 10pm sunday night and turned feed rate up to six. house heated at 65 but by 4am needed to add more pellets. help????
Did you ever look in your attic? Blown in cellulose is the most "bang for your buck" insulation there is, and is quite DIY friendly. Be sure to keep venting paths open around edges and locate and mark any elec. , gas lines etc. Please don't tell me you bought a house and never looked in the attic.

Status
Not open for further replies.