Discolored DW Chimney after the Stove Pipe Adapter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracey Osborn

Hearth Supporter
Dec 15, 2007
West-Central Indiana
With the exception of the one warm week-end this winter, I've been burning 24/7 since 11/30/07. I looked in the attic and discovered the first section of double wall ,which is connected to the stove pipe adapter, had discolored to an black anodized look. The piece directly above, which passes through the flashing, looks new. I understand this first section takes all the heat, but should the outer wall change colors?. The entire chimney and adapter, heat shield, support, etc. came together as a kit from Supervent and I'm confident it was installed correctly. Do I have a warrenty issue or is this normal? My stove is medium-sized ( 2.3 cu.ft.) and truly has not been fired over 475 F for over 20 minutes. Here is where I use the "n" word...newbie..so thanks in advance for your help.

So the double wall you speak of is a class A pipe? Is it SS outer or Galvanized?

Hard to diagnose from afar...but, some suggestions and possibilities...

Maybe you should go up in the attic when the unit is running hard and check the pipe temp - it would be really cool if you had access to one of those infrared thermometers so you can shoot it. A temp up to about 400 degrees is OK on that section.

But, still, I don't think that the outer shell of that ss should get to any temp that would make it discolor....so, that leaves two possibilities:
1. The discoloration is not the result of heat, but of the machining oils and stuff like that.
2. There is something wrong.

Based on that, I would suggest taking a picture of it and forwarding it to Selkirk technical support.

Sounds like an excellant excuse to buy the infra red thermometer. Sears had theirs on sale at around $50 but I passed on it at that time. Digital image is do-able and will do this once the temperature is determined. Had this been old or used piping, I would not be to annoyed, but at $66 each, they should last longer than 7 weeks.

The top of my chimney, SS Simpson, has blued a little but the attic part has stayed nice and shiney. Even when a fire has been ripping along for quite some time I can still touch the class A with my hand. I suspect a surface finish issue.

At elevated temperature, the metal comprising the stainless steel will combine with oxygen to form an oxide layer on the metal surface. The color of the "stain" is a function of the layer thickness. Oxidation of stainless steel indicates that the metal temperature at the oxidized surface was in excess of 1000F.

Leelli said:
At elevated temperature, the metal comprising the stainless steel will combine with oxygen to form an oxide layer on the metal surface. The color of the "stain" is a function of the layer thickness. Oxidation of stainless steel indicates that the metal temperature at the oxidized surface was in excess of 1000F.

Leelli, unless your name is Larry Hanke, you should give credit to the original author

Status
Not open for further replies.