disconnected my oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, cooling a dry fuel would be the reason that we put water on it when it's on fire.

And water is 1400+ times a better cooler than air ever could be except when it too is a liquid.

That cold air doesn't stand a chance of cooling that pellet fire enough to make a difference and in cold weather the fire will definitely have a better oxygen supply.

You need to look for any restriction in that system, an OAK is just another vent system.

This could be something as little is a glob of RTV that blocks part of the cross sectional area of the OAK or even a slightly crushed section of the pipe.

What end did you disconnect from the system?

Without my OAK hooked up, I get creosote build up on the glass of my stove. I would have to assume that the outside cold air is giving me a more efficient burn.

update......put a new screen on the OAK, one with bigger holes the original was to fine i thought, stove is running better now, not as well when its diconnected but better than it was before, gonna live with it because i dont like running it without

My stove has a small air intake and the screen needs to be removed when burning or I'd need to make a balloon screen to allow enough air to enter the OAK.

Status
Not open for further replies.