Discount stovepipe/class a chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phishheadmi

Oct 1, 2008
Northern MI
Anyone have a line on a good, discounted source for stovepipe, class A chimney and related accessories? I've found what I think is a pretty decent deal at discountchimney.com but I'm a little over budget and would really like to shave a little bit off. Any ideas?

I bought my Class A chimney components at Lowe's, they seemed to be quite a bit less than what I was able to find on line or other local outlets. Also you can get 10% coupon to save more money. The brand is SuperVent pretty made by the same company that makes SuperPro, go the the manufacturers website.

From memory, my class A components were as follows:

36" sections $67 (I needed four) they have shorter sections that cost less if needed.
Flat ceiling kit $160 (includes ceiling support box, attic shield, flashing and storm collar, and chimney cap)
Locking bands $5 each

The DW stove pipe was the same price as a stove shop and it was special order, so I opted to purchase it from the stove shop.

aussieblake

I used the supervent from Lowe's as well and then used Simpson double wall from the chimney to the stove, because i ordered double wall stove pipe from Lowe's and when they got it it was damaged.

I been doing some part-time construction work and I been on a few stove and chimney installs in the last month.

The Supervent stuff from Lowes is hard to beat. Some supply houses have MetalFab brand stuff which is about $100 per job cheaper than SuperVent. It is good stuff to but the outer case is not Stainless Steel like supervent. Some people like the black pipe sticking up rather than the shiney SS out there. MetalFab 6" chimney is 10" on the outside Supervent is 8". MetalFab is heavy and tough though. Keep it painted flat black every 5 or 6 years and it will be just fine. Both have the twist lock put together on chimney sections and makes both easy and fast to install.

I like the Supervent better but I'm using metalfab here at my house. Either way you do just fine.

There is some builder's grade stuff found in some supply houses that is real cheep. I had to use it when i worked in new home construction. I can tell you I think it is junk. I did not care if it was double wall or tripple wall it was junk. you will know it when you see it. it has no insulation and it snaps together. The inside will be stainless because that is code but the out side is rather thin and galvanized. It is like the stuff they use on trailer houses only even cheaper. Mobil homes have stricter codes on some stuff than site built houses. Don't use that stuff. it is hard to put together. It needs straped in the attic to stay in place. it dosent want to stay straight. I do not know what keeps it from heat warping due to being so thin. The cap will rust through in 2 years and dirt dobber wasp will fill the outer pipes full of mud nests and somehow they get in the house through there.

Thanks for the info everyone, I've checked at Lowes and the product seems much more reasonably priced. I do have a few concerns though...First, I'm going into a VC Defiant Encore with an oval flue opening so I'll need an oval to round converter. The guy at Lowes is checking into it for me as it's not stocked. If they don't have it, I'll have to order it somewhere else so I assume I should order the black stovepipe from that supplier to make sure it fits properly. Do you think I'll have a problem using Lowe's ceiling box and class A chimney and someone else's stove pipe from the stove to the ceiling box?

Next, with my 12/12 pitch roof, I'll need about 16' of exterior chimney. All Lowes can get is 36" sections, which means an two extra joints than I had planned with 48" sections. Do you think 6 sections would be unstable or would I be ok to go with the 36" sections? The chimney is running up next to a dormer so it can be supported. Would I need as much as one support per section? Maybe every other? There's a good chance I'll box this chimney in next spring.

Thanks again...
Matt

You might take a look here:http://www.dynamitebuys.com/
They seem to have the best prices on line that I could fine, note, the free shipping.
I just ordered my chimney from them this ,morning.

I believe that a support is needed if you go 5' out of the roof and every 5' there after If I am remembering right, so at 16' you will need 3 supports.

crazy_dan said:
I believe that a support is needed if you go 5' out of the roof and every 5' there after If I am remembering right, so at 16' you will need 3 supports.

Lowes can order the oval adapter and the chimney support kit. It should be able to arrive in 2 or 3 days also. I made my own support kit but after the fact I would rather order one.

I would say just print off the Supervent parts list found on the web site. Mark what all you will need and take it to Lowes. That will give the store guy the part numbers he needs to order with.
When they have the numbers it is easy for them to put it in the ordering system.

Status
Not open for further replies.