discrepancy in inspection reports

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

denti

Sep 16, 2022
PA
I have a wood-burning stove that I've used for over 6 years. It's been inspected by a certified inspector, as has the chimney. All's well.

I contacted a local seller of stoves because I was interested in getting a newer, more efficient stove. They said they would need to do a full inspection first to be sure their stoves could be installed with our existing chimney. I hesitated, because we've had an inspection, and it would be expensive to do theirs, but it seemed like the only way to go ahead, so they came and did the inspection.

Their report shows problems that they say will require a complete reinstall of the whole chimney, not just the stove. They want upwards of $15k for the job. I inquired about the report and got pretty defensive responses. They said that there were three different type of chimney used and that this was not allowed. But the pictures show that the main chimney, which goes from the stove to outside the house, is perfectly fine. At the stove end there is a connector from the stove to the chimney. This, they say, is not allowed. At the other end is a short bit of wider chimney as it comes to the top of the chimney. Also not allowed, they say. I asked what part of the NFPA211 details that this is not allowed and was told they didn't have the time to look this up.

Meanwhile our other inspector says nothing is against code. Whom do I believe? Is it really against code to have short pieces of piping on either end of an otherwise perfectly functioning chimney? And if so, why would I need to get rid of the entire chimney to fix this?

I have a wood-burning stove that I've used for over 6 years. It's been inspected by a certified inspector, as has the chimney. All's well.

I contacted a local seller of stoves because I was interested in getting a newer, more efficient stove. They said they would need to do a full inspection first to be sure their stoves could be installed with our existing chimney. I hesitated, because we've had an inspection, and it would be expensive to do theirs, but it seemed like the only way to go ahead, so they came and did the inspection.

Their report shows problems that they say will require a complete reinstall of the whole chimney, not just the stove. They want upwards of $15k for the job. I inquired about the report and got pretty defensive responses. They said that there were three different type of chimney used and that this was not allowed. But the pictures show that the main chimney, which goes from the stove to outside the house, is perfectly fine. At the stove end there is a connector from the stove to the chimney. This, they say, is not allowed. At the other end is a short bit of wider chimney as it comes to the top of the chimney. Also not allowed, they say. I asked what part of the NFPA211 details that this is not allowed and was told they didn't have the time to look this up.

Meanwhile our other inspector says nothing is against code. Whom do I believe? Is it really against code to have short pieces of piping on either end of an otherwise perfectly functioning chimney? And if so, why would I need to get rid of the entire chimney to fix this?
If it is infact made of mixed types of chimneys it cannot meet code and I would not hook a stove to it either. The applicable code would be IRC not NFPA 211. And the code says any ul listed chimney system needs to be installed according to the manufacturers instructions. No manufacturers allow mixing and matching of chimney types.

So even though 95% of the chimney is perfectly fine you would also say I'd need to replace the whole thing?

So even though 95% of the chimney is perfectly fine you would also say I'd need to replace the whole thing?
If you can find components that match one of the 3 types of chimney you have yes you may be able to reuse parts of what you have. But there is no way for me to know. And depending upon the age of the system it may not make sense