distance from home gas furnace to wood furnace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blkshadowsabre

Dec 21, 2008
missouri
How far away can your wood furnace be away from your central heat.My gas furnace is about twenty feet from nearest basement window. What I want to know is to get from the cold air return,and the input for the heat is this to far?I Think I can just buy a kit to take one of my little basement windows out and flu through it,which would be cheaper than tearing out my fireplace and adding a kozy heat zero clearance upstairs or would I be better off to go with the kozy heat.My new house is about 12-1300sqft.I think a wood furnace will give better even heat,and I can keep this all in the basement.

The house is fairly small. I strongly suspect a wood furnace would overwhelm it, especially for fall and spring burning. Too many btus. If the goal is good heat, then how about keeping the fireplace and putting in an insert or a freestanding stove in front of it?

As far as the original question, the distance if reasonable it can be dealt with, but the sheet metal costs for proper plenums and ducting would be higher.

I really despise through the wall, up the outside, SS chimneys and think they are a house fire waiting to happen. That and they usually have terrible draft. Go with plan B.

^ ^ Agreed (with BG). Carefully consider a space heater...insert, hearth stove, or freestander...upstairs where you live. Rick

Thank you guys for your reply,thats what I was wondering.The kozy heat z42cd was what we were goin to install,I just figured the install price for the labor on removing the cheap heatalator would be more expensive than just piping flu out the window and having a wood furnace.Everybody on this forum looks like they live further up north and deal with the cold alot more than we do here around st.louis.Just one more question about the kozy heat fireplace ,do they put out enough heat,and if the electric goes out does it still produce heat without over fireing?

I am guessing it would be much less expensive to put in a freestanding or an insert with a liner than a total tearout, new piping and rebuild with the Kozy. But we'd need some actual info on the fireplace size and construction to be sure. Can you post a picture of the current setup and provide dimensions of the fireplace? Does it have a tile-lined masonry flue?

BeGreen said:
I am guessing it would be much less expensive to put in a freestanding or an insert with a liner than a total tearout, new piping and rebuild with the Kozy. But we'd need some actual info on the fireplace size and construction to be sure. Can you post a picture of the current setup and provide dimensions of the fireplace? Does it have a tile-lined masonry flue?
Yes it would and, use alot less wood as well with that sq ft you dont want a wood furance!

Status
Not open for further replies.