Distribution Fan Runs Non-Stop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scott13676

Oct 29, 2018
NY
I have a Clayton 1600 furnace that the fans seem to run non-stop. Its not till the fire is almost out before they kick off. It came with a thermodisc, i replaced it with a Honeywell limit switch 80145. So i just put the thermodisc back in the other day hoping that would fix it, it did for the first couple of hours, then the fans would run non stop till the fire was almost out. The furnace has twin fans, and i run them both. I have pretty much the same furnace in my house except that has the big single fan, and that one has a honeywell limit switch. But the one in the house works perfectly. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks....

Why did you remove the Honeywell fan/limit switch? Those are way better than a snap disk switch...and exactly what I would have suggested switching to.
A new switch would almost have to fix this issue, from what you describe...did you try changing the start/stop temps on the Honeywell?

It came with the snap disc, never used it. i put the limit switch on it from the get go. I started with my settings at 90-140 and limit at 200. i have played around with different settings, but all seem to have the same result. Thanks for the reply.

Unless the blowers 'see' current. they won't operate so I'd be tracing the circuit back to it's source with a multimeter.

I understand what your saying about the current. but when the temp drops significantly in the firebox, the limit seems to work fine.

But the blower(s) keep running. They have to be receiving current from something unless you have discovered perpetual motion and if you have, you'd better patent it right away....()

I understand what your saying about the current. but when the temp drops significantly in the firebox, the limit seems to work fine.
So just to be clear...the snap switch stayed on too long, and the Honeywell did too?
One, or both must be bad...or wired/adjusted wrong then...the blower (should) be getting its power through the fan switch, so if the blower is on, the switch had to be made (again, assuming correct wiring).
If the blower stays on too long, raise the shut off temp, if it still stays on too long, the switch must be bad.