DIY cap, panels, chase replace - easy Q's for 1st timer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mikus

Sep 3, 2018
Chicagoland
Looking to replace 1) Chimney cap, 2) Chase, & 3) refractory panels on a 1994 installed, Temco TBF36 wood burning metal fireplace per a professional sweep's advice. OEM parts are no longer available.

I'm posting to gut-check my understanding & be 110% safe. Looking for any notes, tips, guidance, thank you!

• CAP: is it as simple as finding a quality stainless cap of matching inner diameter & doing the swap, any other considerations? It's a round metal triple air-cooled, haven't gone up ladder yet but should be 8" based on manual.

• PANELS: walls definitely need replacement. Looks like I'll need a universal & cut to fit and I read that as long as the fit is as good as factory, I'm OK here. Floor has one good no-gap crack but seems overall sound, I'm inclined to leave that floor in.

• CHASE seems simple enough and replacement supplier (Rockford has very clear measuring instructions. Mainly mentioning this part for 'full story' context.