DIY chimney cleaning kits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
It does look interesting. I watched the video. I really like the quick connect rods. I have the traditional brush and fiberglass threaded rods and threading them together are a PITA. You'd think they would put an unthreaded leader on them at least to help get them started. Bayonet style quick connects are what I would look for if I were buying rods today.

I bought one about 2 weeks ago but haven't used it yet. Will be using it during the mid year cleaning, first warm spell after the new year.

I am going to use it to clean the lower part of the flexible liner as my standard brush and pole, that I use from the roof, cannot get past the zig-zag in the chimney. Will insert it from inside the house and go up about 5ft of liner.

Erik

Edit: What is a pope? Guess a typo on their website.

seems like alot of moving parts,I just use the brush done in less thean 10min.

Smokin-a-jib- I thought the same, but remembering how nicely my round brush fit UNTIL it hits a zigzag- then it was a PITA- maybe this would fit the bill for some people.

Me, I'm gonna trim the brush, because I have a Scottish last name.

Adios Pantalones said:
Smokin-a-jib- I thought the same, but remembering how nicely my round brush fit UNTIL it hits a zigzag- then it was a PITA- maybe this would fit the bill for some people.

I have stright pipe and tee's only, so the 5 buck brush and 2 extensions works great(no loop to loops)

eba1225 said:
I bought one about 2 weeks ago but haven't used it yet. Will be using it during the mid year cleaning, first warm spell after the new year.

I am going to use it to clean the lower part of the flexible liner as my standard brush and pole, that I use from the roof, cannot get past the zig-zag in the chimney. Will insert it from inside the house and go up about 5ft of liner.

Erik

Edit: What is a pope? Guess a typo on their website.

Keep us posted on how it works, I agree that it looks interesting, as I have a straight vertical pipe, but I have to clean from the bottom and have a very difficult access to get into it. If it does the job this looks like it might be easier.

Gooserider

smokinj said:
seems like alot of moving parts,I just use the brush done in less thean 10min.

Agreed . . . but then again it's a straight, quick shot for me and my regular brush and rods and I'm always leary of folks trying to sell a better "mouse trap" than the one which has been working fine for years and years.

Adios Pantalones said:

Pantalones is Scottish? I mean "Pantalones" just doesn't sound very Scottish. :) ;)

firefighterjake said:
Adios Pantalones said:

Pantalones is Scottish? :) ;)

Maybe he's part Scotch - and part water :lol: (It verges on sacriledge to mix soda and other such vile liquids w/ a good single malt scotch...)

Gooserider

I had some of my rods refuse to come apart one winter so my brush and rods are all in one piece wrapped around the inside of my shed.

MAtt

Just used this item as I purchased it in October. This works pretty good as I cannot reach the lower part of my liner from the roof. I was able to bend the rod enough to enter the liner from inside my Lopi. With the drill attached the thing spins well and does a pretty good job cleaning the lower end of the liner. Attached 3 lengths of the rod and was able to meet the area that I was able to clean from above.

Did my mid season clean out today and it needed it.

Erik

If God, Who is infinitely wise, wanted us to mix water or other vile liquids with Johnny Walker "Black" or Knockadoo(?) Single Malt, He would have placed an appropriate spigot near the distillery.

I guess these are the soaring thoughts one should contemplate very early in the morning.

John_M said:
If God, Who is infinitely wise, wanted us to mix water or other vile liquids with Johnny Walker "Black" or Knockadoo(?) Single Malt, He would have placed an appropriate spigot near the distillery.

I guess these are the soaring thoughts one should contemplate very early in the morning.

Actually, unless one is purchasing "cask strength" water has already been added by her earthly servants when transferring the sacred elixer from the barrel to the bottle... (using the tap at the distillery :coolsmirk: )

However, per the Scotts at the brewery tour that the GF and I went on a few years back, it actually helps the flavor to add a SMALL amount of water to a good single malt when serving - it helps to "wake up" the whiskey, and bring out some of the subtler tastes and aromas...

(BTW, I highly reccomend SCAPA - one of the great little known brands, very reasonably priced for a single malt, but you can pay considerably more for a fancy brand that isn't as good... It is made and aged on the edge of the Scapa Flow (where Scotland meets the North Sea) and picks up some of it's flavor from the fine air they have up there....))

(Wood burning relevance - the Bonded warehouses where they age the whiskey are surrounded by trees, which normally have grey bark, but next to the warehouses have black bark - attributed to the trees enjoying the "angels share" or the 5% or so that evaporates through the walls of the casks each year that the whiskey ages...)

Gooserider

Gooserider, I am jealous!. Your knowledge of the heavenly spirits distilled by the wonderful Scots is 4 magnitudes greater than mine. For various medical reasons I have been prohibited from enjoying any alcohol for the past three years (I am still recovering from a stem cell transplant).

However, my blood numbers are improving ever so slightly and I am anticipating my trusted and very respected Dr. will approve just a teensey bit of distilled bliss in front of my new wood stove next fall. I don't dare touch any distilled spirits until he approves. The last two words in the inspirational "Le Comte de Monte Cristo" are "Wait and hope". There is always hope!

Best wishes,

John_M

Status
Not open for further replies.