DIY Insert Install Q's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lawn717

Feb 15, 2021
PA
About to pull the trigger on the Drolet trio. I'm well within the clearance to fit inside fireplace, but two areas of concern are holding me back.

It's 13.5" from the fireplace opening to the edge of the brick. Will this hearth pad I found on here cover me?

Is it safe to clean this chimney and install a liner? I worried it may need work before hand.

IMG_0028.JPG IMG_0038.JPG IMG_0037.JPG IMG_0035.JPG

About to pull the trigger on the Drolet trio. I'm well within the clearance to fit inside fireplace, but two areas of concern are holding me back.

It's 13.5" from the fireplace opening to the edge of the brick. Will this hearth pad I found on here cover me?

Is it safe to clean this chimney and install a liner? I worried it may need work before hand.

View attachment 280692 View attachment 280696 View attachment 280699 View attachment 280700
It will take allot of cleaning. You will need a taller cap than you have and the liner will need to be oval so you can insulate it.

Find out what r-value your stove requires for the hearth that will tell you what type of pad you need.

The hearth pad is for a freestander. That one will work, but it is extra deep. Look for one that is 18" deep which is the narrowest hearth extension pad they make I think. (If you can find a 12" one, even better.) The insert will need one of R=1.0 insulation value.

That chimney does not appear to meet the 10-3-2 rule, but that may be the camera angle. Is the chimney opening at least 2 ft over the roof ridge?

It will take allot of cleaning. You will need a taller cap than you have and the liner will need to be oval so you can insulate it.

Find out what r-value your stove requires for the hearth that will tell you what type of pad you need.
Is there no way of getting around an oval liner? I thought it would tight, but even insulated, I thought the 6” round liner would fit.

Looks like I need an R -value of 2 or great so will need something else.

Attachments

• 9ACDB84D-95FB-4794-8335-1C079E7C4E4F.jpeg
    9ACDB84D-95FB-4794-8335-1C079E7C4E4F.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 171
The hearth pad is for a freestander. That one will work, but it is extra deep. Look for one that is 18" deep which is the narrowest hearth extension pad they make I think. (If you can find a 12" one, even better.) The insert will need one of R=1.0 insulation value.

That chimney does not appear to meet the 10-3-2 rule, but that may be the camera angle. Is the chimney opening at least 2 ft over the roof ridge?
I didn’t realize it was for a freestanding stove. Narrower would be preferred! After a second look I thought I need R2 or higher.
The camera angle isn’t the best. It is close, but I was anticipating having to install a taller cap.

After a second look I thought I need R2 or higher.
I concur. That’s 1” inch of micro core then what ever you choose to finish it with. If it were me I’d cover the whole hearth not just I front of the stove then pick a tile that complemented/blended with the floor.

How tall is the flue? And have you considered adding a damper? Don’t want to hijack, just things I’m thinking about before I place my 1800i order.

You will need a taller cap than you have
I may need to raise my Cap if/when install the 1800i I am contemplating. I have the exact same expanded stainless and cap for my double flue chimney as well . I like the way it looks currently (matches many neighbors) and was wondering if you can just replace the expanded stainless with new that is the correct height?

Evan

I concur. That’s 1” inch of micro core then what ever you choose to finish it with. If it were me I’d cover the whole hearth not just I front of the stove then pick a tile that complemented/blended with the floor.

How tall is the flue? And have you considered adding a damper? Don’t want to hijack, just things I’m thinking about before I place my 1800i order.

I may need to raise my Cap if/when install the 1800i I am contemplating. I have the exact same expanded stainless and cap for my double flue chimney as well . I like the way it looks currently (matches many neighbors) and was wondering if you can just replace the expanded stainless with new that is the correct height?

Evan
I've considered building out the hearth, even if it's something that lays on top and I can remove if needed.

Flue is just under 15' ... I'm very new here, what would adding a damper do and where?

Thats a great idea of an expanded cap for both flues! I couldn't find one in a quick google search, however. Will have to do more digging.

Flue is just under 15' ... I'm very new here, what would adding a damper do and where?
If you have tall flue 20’+ you can over draft and and effectively it sucks heat out the stack that could be heating your house. A damper can restrict the flow slowing things down. I don’t see that happening on 15’. So a damper is not something you need. My insert will be in daylight basement.

Thats a great idea of an expanded cap for both flues! I couldn't find one in a quick google search, however. Will have to do more digging.
I have not found what I was looking for either but I’m sure it’s out there. I need maybe 4-6”. But that is really just to get space between liner termination and the stainless cover. If you need to get above ridge line by more than that it may not be the best route.

Attachments

• 0DCDC7BE-DB0D-46CA-A25D-C9CB801D4A14.jpeg
    0DCDC7BE-DB0D-46CA-A25D-C9CB801D4A14.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 159
Reactions: lawn717
I didn’t realize it was for a freestanding stove. Narrower would be preferred! After a second look I thought I need R2 or higher.
The camera angle isn’t the best. It is close, but I was anticipating having to install a taller cap.
A typical hearth extension pad is 18"x48". Menards also sells that size. The manual states:

9.2.1 Installation Raised of 4" (102 mm) and Less
If non-combustible material floor protection needs to be added in front of and level with the hearth extension of the masonry fireplace (F = 4" [102 mm) or less), an R-value equal to or greater than 1.00 is required and should extend at least 22" (559 mm) in front of the unit

A typical hearth extension pad is 18"x48". Menards also sells that size. The manual states:

9.2.1 Installation Raised of 4" (102 mm) and Less
If non-combustible material floor protection needs to be added in front of and level with the hearth extension of the masonry fireplace (F = 4" [102 mm) or less), an R-value equal to or greater than 1.00 is required and should extend at least 22" (559 mm) in front of the unit
My apologies, thank you for clarifying!!

My apologies, thank you for clarifying!!
Check for the latest manual. I found difference about this time last year in the manuals Posted to different places.

Attachments

• 500A0048-4BE2-4343-B19B-CB1DA8379537.png
    500A0048-4BE2-4343-B19B-CB1DA8379537.png
    185.2 KB · Views: 141
I was thinking the Drolet trio was for the 1500i. If this is the 1800i, then I quoted the wrong manual. This is from the current 1800i manual on Drolet's website. Still R=1.0, but at 23" instead of 22".

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 10.13.53 AM.png

Up top looks pretty good. Was the smoke shelf area cleaned too?

What is the interior dimensions? Will a 6' liner fit?

Having some trouble determining what my options are for extending my chimney cap. To adhere to the 10-3-2 rule, I will need to add at least a foot or more.

Found this option, seems a little pricy. Especially if I want both flues to match.

Having some trouble determining what my options are for extending my chimney cap. To adhere to the 10-3-2 rule, I will need to add at least a foot or more.

Found this option, seems a little pricy. Especially if I want both flues to match.
I used a different 12" extension I bought from Rockford, if you dig through my install thread (link in my signature) you'll find it. There's a good chance you'll also need an elbow adapter between the bottom of your liner and the insert, but it depends on how your masonry fireplace was constructed.

I used a different 12" extension I bought from Rockford, if you dig through my install thread (link in my signature) you'll find it. There's a good chance you'll also need an elbow adapter between the bottom of your liner and the insert, but it depends on how your masonry fireplace was constructed.
Your thread was the tipping point for me to try out this DIY install. Thank you! Should be here in a few days :)

I did see the extension you used. Want to see what all my options are before deciding.

Cleaned out my smoke shelf and chamber over the weekend. Could probably use a little more TLC, but both are MUCH better than before.

Drolet Trio just landed today. I've got a long road ahead of me hahaha

View attachment 282155

View attachment 282154
Did mine Sunday. Took 30 min to remove /break out damper then I could stand all the way up in there. I’m trying to figure out if I want the surround or not. If I don’t I can’t set back nearly flush. If I want the surround then it’s about 6” further forward. Block off plate probably needs those measurements before I can make it unless I make it in two pieces and rivet together. Insulation wrap got here before the stove. Baffle broke in transit right down the middle. Haven’t followed up with SBI yet.

4921293D-7560-414D-9C78-530DDAB31FD1.jpeg

Awesome! Best of luck with the rest of the install! Comforting to know it was quick work getting the damper out haha!

Last edited: