DIY question: Installing Jotul F500 into existing fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dyne127

Sep 1, 2019
New Hampton, NY
Hey guys...I have a quick DIY question. I just picked up a used Jotul F500 and I would like to install the stove inside of an existing fireplace in my living room (over 100 year old brick and stone). The stove fits snugly inside but I am a little concerned about the clearance from the top of the stove to the top of the fireplace opening. There is only 3” of clearance from the top of the stove to the brick above it. Is this minimal clearance going to be an issue? Would it be worth it to buy the shorty leg kit to bring my clearance to 5”? I will be installing a 6” double walled stainless steel liner and rear heat shield as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

400beeb4df66e3a7d9ee024d8c0d454a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Jotul F600 installed in a similar manner in front of my fireplace (only a few inches recessed into firebox of fireplace). I don't see a problem with the clearance to the top of the inside of your fireplace, rather the concern is the clearance to the fireplace surround and mantle in your photo. Are they combustible? They look like wood, but I guess they could be plaster or some similar material. At any rate, if they are combustible it doesn't look like you have sufficient clearance. You can see the distance in my avatar photo, which is 22 inches. The bottom of my wooden mantle was getting too hot, so I added a heat shield.

Here are a few photos of my stove.
IMG_0204.JPG IMG_0206.JPG IMG_0188.JPG

Here are two more photos that show the stove from the side. As you can see it is only sitting back inside the fireplace a few inches, which allows me to use the side door for loading.

IMG_0203.JPG IMG_0195.JPG

The clearances to the brick look fine, it's the clearances to the wood mantel that need to be watched and honored. Use a single-wall, insulated, heavy-duty liner for best results.

Reactions: Dyne127
Single wall eh? I was curious about this. Double wall wouldn’t be worth it? I have basically a straight shot up and out (22’). Any recommendations on brand? Thank you for the response!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How deep is the mantel trim above the stove? How deep is the mantel shelf?

Dyne, I assume you will need a block off plate and need to resolve the clearance mantel. So the stove can breath, I would get the stove pulled out of the fireplace as far as possible. As Nick did, add a fireproof hearth pad,
The Oslo's exhaust collar can be either straight up or straight out the back. I'm not positive, but I think you can rotate the one you have,

Thank you everyone for the responses. They are extremely helpful. I ended up taking the wall down to see what I am up against. The wheels are starting to turn....that rock breaks up the room so nicely. What do you guys think? Keep the stone or wrap the face back up with sufficient clearance from the top of the stove? Maybe wrap it in some nice barnwood and add a nice mantle?

View attachment 247184

I'm not sure I would have studded the surface and put on plywood. Stone might work, if it is in character with the period of the house. Barnwood is nice, but doesn't seem to be consistent with the interior scheme. Watch clearance to combustibles over the stove.
Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 8.35.09 AM.png

Last edited:
Oops..the order of the pictures caused some confusion. I removed the plywood and studs today. I edited the last post with just a picture of the end result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4j8J7Ypm.jpg

You have a timber framed house, and I must say those rough hewn ceiling joists and the stone fireplace look familiar.
I wish you would post a picture of the exterior of the house.

That fireplace is beautiful. We have an old brick/cedar farmhouse built in 1820. The character is amazing. They just don’t build houses like this anymore.

8d05553bee114d60ccd3909b4181119b.jpg